LG 50PM6802 and TOSHIBA 32DL934B

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

The other half's folks are thinking of getting a couple of new TVs - the LG 50PM6802 for the living room and the Toshiba 32DL934B. I've had a quick look online and can't see anything to particularly make me shout "NO!" about either of them, but just wondered if anyone has any experience with either?

They'll be using Sky in the living room and quite liked the look of the built-in DVD for the bedroom TV (which I suspect will get more use than the internal tuner).

Thanks!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry professorhat, I don't know about either of these two TVs, and I'm sure that your online searching skills are at least as good as mine!

Oh, I've just made what I thought was a witty reply to your Jaws thread!

It's my honour to be the one to respond to your TEN THOUSANDTH post!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought - is the LG TV that you mean a 50PM680T by any chance? Two weeks ago at Currys / PC World in Braehead outside Glasgow, I saw the 60 inch version, the 60PM680T, right next to a Panasonic TX-P55ST50. It's impossible to tell in shop fluorescent lighting, but I thought that the whites on the Panasonic looked slightly yellow next to the LG, whose whites did look white. It could be that the LG's whites were overcooked, towards blue, but I specifically asked one of the assistants, and he assured me that all their TVs were just on out-of-the-box settings, with no adjustment or calibration at all. The blacks on the Panasonic were better, but not by all that much, but black level is really hard to assess without being in a darkened environment. The LG is only 600Hz compared to the Panasonic's 2000Hz, but I couldn't see any difference in their motion processing using the admittedly fairly gentle Currys stock loop material. In fact I took a photograph on my humble mobile phone of the two TVs, but I don't know how to get them to you (for some reason, I can't seem to get an account on Flickr). Certainly if I were looking for a cheapish 50" plasma, it would be between this LG TV, the LG 50PM970T (which adds a magic motion remote) and the Samsung PS51E6500 (which does include Freesat and two pairs of 3D glasses). Oh, if whichever LG TV that you do buy is at all like my recently revived LG 60PZ950T, its black levels may not be great, but it will be very good on Freeview and even better than my 64" Samsung on Freeview HD.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you're absolutely right, it's the LG 50PM680T - thanks for pointing out the error! Thanks also for the comments - sounds like it's not a bad choice at all. They did go and see it in PC World and quite liked the look so sounds like it's a goer.

10,000 posts - didn't even notice! I shall now celebrate...

:dance:

Excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts