LG 50PK590 plasma, or LG 47LD450 LCD screen.......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It's possibly the old LCD vs PLASMA debate..........

Seen these two tv's today with the Panasonic TX-P50S20.....

The Panasonic screen looked like it had the least detail when viewing the same picture.....in fact it looked quite a lot less detailed(blurred) in comparison to the two LG's......

The LG plasma was pretty good....good detail, but then looking at the LCD LG the detail on offer was superior to both the plasma screens......it was brighter too, but I assume it was the screen settings.....

After looking into the LD450, it does have the Freeview HD tuner, but the next tv up in the range, the LD690, does.

Looking at the back of the tv's, all were connected via the 'component connector', so it was a fair comparison, and I realise the detail will be improved when HDMI cables are used.....

The LG 50PK590 has had a decent review on this site, and I've found one for £650 or £715 including a 5 year warranty, but I can't find any reviews on the LCD screen (LD690).....

Anyone got the LCD screen, or at this size is plasma still 'king'?

In the back of my mind, image retention is bugging me slightly, and I hear this LG plasma is prone to it.....

Also, with freeview HD just round the corner, will an LCD screen and it's extra detail be the better way to go.....

I hear the response speeds of LCD are getting better, and with demo's of football being shown in stores on these tv's, the ghosting problem hasn't been obvious......

Anyone able to help me decide, or can offer goos advice on this topic?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pete im in exactly the same situation, but looking for my parents.Also went to Currys today i viewed all the models youve just mentioned, and agree with all your thoughts.My best mate got the LG47LD450 two weeks ago for £499 and payed £30 extra for sky HD to be installed and it really looks ok especially with sky hd, he does play games on it or blu-rays but has a huge dvd collection like me so can't comment on the sd feed.Excellent deal so had a look for myself and the price has shot by a £100.The LG Lcd looked good but only has 50 hz which is a shame on that size screen.The 50" plasma looked ok, but i too would worry about image rentention, and the Panasonic had washed colours and i couldn't get the remote for a play, so again uncertain about that one. I tried another local specalist shop, although quite expensive, they had the Panasonic 50G20, which looked excellent but priced at £1099, i would want the v series for that price.Asked about the Sony 46EX503 had none to demo but the 40" looked very good, and a total difference in picture to the Plasmas, Sharper and brighter PQ, not so natural and slighty more motion issues nothing serious, but they offered me that for £799 and 5 yrs warranty which is a great price.Was looking at spending under £600 on a present for my parents but may have to up the price, anyway taking them to have a look tommorrow.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I, too, looked at the Sony 46EX503 in the Sony centre too......nice screen, and good reviews.

I'm in no hurry for this tv, and the VAT increase will only add £25 per £1000 spent......so may end up decided which one by the price decrease once the 2011 tv's start coming through in Spring....which will coincide with Freeview HD being available in my area.....

Let me know what you end up getting.....I do hear that the lag on these LG tv's is quite high, but I imagine your parents aren't 'hardcore' gamers....
emotion-5.gif
Saying that, I'm a casual gamer, really.....

That Panny G20 looks amazing.......same it's currently out of my budget really.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Just read a comment from Clare.....

Panasonic 2011 models will be announced in Jan, with the new one's being available in late Feb/March, and the higher spec one's later in the summer.....

If you decide on Panasonic, it might be worth waiting a month or so for the prices to go down........

A

Anonymous

pete, the lg plasmas aren't prone to image retention, they definately do suffer from it.

if i turn off my humax, the lg logo will move around the blank screen leaving a little trail of image retention behind it, it forms a nice little pattern actually
emotion-1.gif

but. when a source is selected it's history, it's not visible*, it's gone..

also, if i've been watching bbc news for a while the channel logo and tickerbar at the bottom are visible on a blank screen for some time after, maybe even the next day..

but. when a source is selected it's history, it's not visible*, it's gone..

sometimes* i can still barely make out image retention when there is a source (a bright scene maybe), but i'd have to really try to find it, and even if i do it's gone after a short time.

basically, it shouldn't bother you, if it bothered me i'd say so. i really don't think you need to worry about it
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

My brother just bought the PK590 from RS for £650 today which is a bargain at that price, as Max says there is slight image retention, there is sometimes on my PK990 between sources but it really ain't nothing to worry about.
Even after 4-5 hrs gaming its only visible on a blank screen as soon as another source is selected its gone, i have the orbiter feature selcted as a matter of course.

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys......

Feeling more relaxed about this now, as it also has a 'white wash' feature to help rid the tv of the problem........

Anyone connected the LG 50PK590/350 tv up to a receiver to get dolby digital 5.1 from the freeview HD tuner? Does it work correctly, or can you only get stereo sound as mentioned in a blog from July 2010 suggesting some tv's are ok, other's aren't...................?

A

Anonymous

I had a Panasonic 42px80 up until a month ago and thought it was brilliant until I bought the LG 50pk990. This set knocks spots off the old Panny and just keeps getting better and better as the hours rack up on it. SD freeview looks better than the Panny, HD freeview looks stunning, so does blu ray from a Sony BDP S370. Everything is just so much better than the panny and for £750 it was a steal.

It does suffer from image retention more than the panny but it very quickly disappears and is never really visible after a minute or two of normal viewing. It is getting less noticeable with age though. Never used the whitewash, never needed to, normal viewing gets rid of it better.

As for Dolby Digital 5.1, yes it does output it into your receiver. I watched the Incredibles yesterday on BBC1 HD in DD. You just have to select tv speakers to off in the audio menu and it will output in DD, as long as it's being broadcast in DD of course.

Nick

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks nibbo.......

Just been reading about the LG 50PK590 'banding' issue.......yet it seems the cheaper PK350 doesn't have this problem despite being the same panel.......

I assume the extra features have caused this problem then?

hmmm.......didn't think buying a tv would be so much like hard work....
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Boys and there toys Pete, i looked hard for 3weeks and have been saving for a tv for a few months. I had 1000/1200 to spend but really didnt fancy anything. I fancied the Pana 46 G20 all week until reading your other post and a few more from a while ago. As i mentioned on one of your other threads i went with the PK350.

If i was you i would grab a bargain even if its just for a couple of years until sets improve on alot of the problems they had this year.

Anyhow it arrives tomorrow and i'll let you know my first thoughts when it arrives. Im not up to much with all the technical side of things but every little input helps.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andy.....

It seems a bit of a minefield out there with tv's these days, and I'd hate to spend a load of money on one to find my current Panny betters it........

Especially as it has no imagine retention/banding/edging/lagging problems at all....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts