LG 4K OLED TV Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/lg-65ec970v-65ec9700-p18506/test.html#overview

D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/65ec9700-201501193990.htm

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The American review concludes "If you currently own a high-quality plasma display such as one of Panasonic or Samsung’s later outings, we do not recommend that you get rid of it for an OLED just yet."

I do own one such, as does bigboss now, and I won't get rid of mine for OLED just yet, thanks very much, not even this 4K version.

"The EC9700’s uniformity issues are something LG should investigate, and its performance with high-motion content such as sports is still more LCD than PDP."

All my current and ex Plasma Display Panels have no problem with fast motion, nor with screen uniformity. I guess I was just lucky. Definitely no OLED for me just now, even if Sir Richard Branson gave me the money.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
The American review concludes "If you currently own a high-quality plasma display such as one of Panasonic or Samsung’s later outings, we do not recommend that you get rid of it for an OLED just yet."

I do own one such, as does bigboss now, and I won't get rid of mine for OLED just yet, thanks very much, not even this 4K version.

"The EC9700’s uniformity issues are something LG should investigate, and its performance with high-motion content such as sports is still more LCD than PDP."

All my current and ex Plasma Display Panels have no problem with fast motion, nor with screen uniformity. I guess I was just lucky. Definitely no OLED for me just now, even if Sir Richard Branson gave me the money.
I'm sticking with mine too, not quite the review I was hoping for here.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

good move by all :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

good move by all :)
Yep. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
On 16 December 2014 in Post 33 of the "Promoted: See LG's new 4K OLED at What Hi-Fi" thread I wrote:

"Seriously, THIS REVIEW shows that it is very, very good. The review is for an American model, and 65" size (nowhere in this thread can I find a model number nor a size for the machine that was shown off at What Hi-Fi), but I can't argue with the man when he says "As the first 4K OLED on the market, the LG 65EC9700 (MSRP $11,999.99) is incredibly exciting. This marriage of the newest innovations in display tech yields truly breathtaking picture quality, the best we've ever seen.""

It now seems that more measured observations are less favourable. For me, the screen uniformity issue is a big no-no.
There definitely seems to be conflicting views of the merits of OLED at present. I would definitely be very careful with future purchases.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
On 16 December 2014 in Post 33 of the "Promoted: See LG's new 4K OLED at What Hi-Fi" thread I wrote:

"Seriously, THIS REVIEW shows that it is very, very good. The review is for an American model, and 65" size (nowhere in this thread can I find a model number nor a size for the machine that was shown off at What Hi-Fi), but I can't argue with the man when he says "As the first 4K OLED on the market, the LG 65EC9700 (MSRP $11,999.99) is incredibly exciting. This marriage of the newest innovations in display tech yields truly breathtaking picture quality, the best we've ever seen.""

It now seems that more measured observations are less favourable. For me, the screen uniformity issue is a big no-no. In fact, only this morning watching Standard Definition television (okay, Matthew Wright's programm on Channel 5 on Freeview) on my now-humble (only HD-Ready) but calibrated Pioneer 428XD television in the bedroom I was thinking how good the picture looked, and the black areas, while of course not as good as Panasonic VT65 levels, looked uniform and even and black enough. Damn, it's a plasma, they don't make them any more .....

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I returned my EC903V about 3weeks ago & got myself a cheap sony KDL 60W855bbu for £1089. All these expensive tvs are not making it happen. At least now I know I get waht I paid for. Was looking forward to 2015 new models, but its the same old story. With the sony the blacks are just good enough compared to my old tv. At least no uniformity, tint or blur or software problems, it just works!! Yes contrast are not at good as the very best but I dnt worry about feeling sick watching my TV anymore. Colours still pop out at you.

This will take me for a year before I upgrade. Oh, forgot. This sony model has almost no input lag & brilliant for my gaming. Any one going for the new models good luck. Am not very sure about all this new tech stuff. Brilliant in one area yet totally useless in all other areas. Hey but thats just me right now.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
I returned my EC903V about 3weeks ago & got myself a cheap sony KDL 60W855bbu for £1089. All these expensive tvs are not making it happen. At least now I know I get waht I paid for. Was looking forward to 2015 new models, but its the same old story. With the sony the blacks are just good enough compared to my old tv. At least no uniformity, tint or blur or software problems, it just works!! Yes contrast are not at good as the very best but I dnt worry about feeling sick watching my TV anymore. Colours still pop out at you.

This will take me for a year before I upgrade. Oh, forgot. This sony model has almost no input lag & brilliant for my gaming. Any one going for the new models good luck. Am not very sure about all this new tech stuff. Brilliant in one area yet totally useless in all other areas. Hey but thats just me right now.
Good deal. I was just saying to someone the other day I think cheaper TVs are more of a bargain than expensive ones. By that I mean the expensive ones are probably not worth the money. I will go for size next time over quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts