LG 42LG5020 problem :-(

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
After what seems like years of procrastination, I decided to buy a Panasonic 42PX80B and popped into Richer Sounds this evening.

Rather than simply sell me what I went in for, and even though it was closing time, the Richer Sounds chap spent a while with me and much to my surprise, rather than walking out with the Panasonic I came out with an LG 42LG5020 LCD.

I took a while sorting out the picture settings, and to be honest, I'm quite impressed with it.

However, every few minutes, for no readily apparent reason, the picture jumps back from standard mode (with my tweaked settings) to vivid (which looks like a paint explosion in a clown shop).

Trying to get one over on the LG, I set the screen settings in vivid mode to match my tweaked standard mode, but I then discovered that not only was the set jumping to vivid, it was setting vivid to factory settings.

Before I call Richer Soundss to voice my disappointment, does anyone know if this is a known "characteristic" of the LG sets and if there's any way around it?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The guys in general at 'Richer Sounds' really dont know what theyre talking about. I dont know of the fault (But its obviously not right)

Personally id take it back and get the Panasonic (Or Pioneer)

What made you choose the LG over the Panasonic in the 1st place?

A

Anonymous

It is faulty. Never worked properly straight out of the box.

Return it for a full refund.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Having done a full reset, it seems to be behaving now, though I'll spend the evening checking. My only thought is that I might have selected "shop mode" (where it resets to factory defaults regularly) rather than "home mode" (where it doesn't) as the behaviour I'm witnessing seems to fit.

Regarding why I opted for the LG...

- The picture in the shop was excellent.

- I've had a smaller LG LCD for a while and have been delighted with it. I only have a set top antenna for reception and I know the smaller LG copes well for freeview whereas others may not do so well (my Humax doesn't work at all well for example). I know the Panny has an excellent freeview picture but I'm not sure how it copes with very low signal strength for example

- There's a strong possibility I may move flats a few times in the next couple of years so resilience and transportability are an issue, and I've always been a tad more concerned about putting a plasma screen in the back of a car & taking it up stairs than I am with an LCD screen. This may be a flawed assumption.

- The price difference between the 720p Panny and the 1080p LG was minimal

So it was a case of doing loads of research and then being shown a shiny new thing and me being swayed. Both approaches, sticking to my guns (Michi, Kef reference, CD10, TU9400) and being swayed (TA-VA777ES) have worked out pretty well for me in the past.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to getting home and having a play :)

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Looks like it was indeed operator error.

I was sure that I'd set it up in home mode, but it must have been shop mode.

Whatever, it's working nicely now. Hurrah!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Your forum write up is almost exactly what happened to me. I spent a lot of time deciding what I wanted and finally went for the Panasonic 42PX85B. I looked around and Richer Sounds were the best price so I phoned and reserved their last unit last Saturday morning. When I got down there the salesman questioned my choice and strongly recommended the LG 42LG5020. I spent over an hour in the shop slowly being convinced that the LG was the better TV (and even £170 cheaper). So, yes I walked out of the shop with the LG.

I'm having real problems with the sound. I think it's a lot to do with the flat, flush wall mounting. I'm getting a strong vibration on the low frequency sounds, it's as if the mounting bracket or rear panel are resonating. I'm also getting a very audable rum from the TV. So I'm really not happy. They sold me the mounting bracket as well as the TV, so you'd think they'd get one that's compatible. The speakers are at the back, so wall mounting 1" from the wall really doesn't sound right?

Anyone else have sound problems flush mounting an LG or similar TV?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I should have typed that I originally wanted the Panasonic 42PZ85B, not the 42PX85B.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
The sound is fine on mine, but then it's not bolted to the wall like yours.

Have you tried changing the sound settings as there are a number of tweaks you can make?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts