LCD / Plasma - will I be disappointed after a Sony WEGA 100 Hz?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've been lusting after a large flat screen TV and now seems the time to buy, especially as we're about to buy a new and bigger house.

I've found the choice, like most, bewildering and posts hear are very enlightening. My cousin has just splashed out on a Sony 40" LCD which he says is 'too big' and looking at Freeview pictures in the shops always leaves me seriously underwhelmed.

When I come home and turn on our 10 year old 28" 100 Hz Sony VEGA - the picture is still stunning and the only gripe is the small screen size and (by modern standards) huge foot print.

I'm really worried splashing out on a large LCD may be disappointing and while I thought 40" was the way to go, I'm thinking a 37" plasma like a Panasonic would be the way to go - especially as it would free up cash for a 32" in a second room.

Not really looking for an answer but your comments would help - especially from those who've gone from the quality CRT to LCD / Plasma route.

Thanks

RH

A

Anonymous

I have the exact same problem, have a 32" 100 Hz Sony VEGA and a problem selecting either a 37" or 40" lcd which will not make me look a prat in front of the other half when she looks at the quality of the picture through sky or freeview.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It certainly is a tricky one. I've seen posts on here from some people who've said they can't tell a difference between SD on their new plasma and their old CRT and others who are bitterly disappointed by the picture (even when using the same televisions!). Personally, although I can see that my old 32" CRT (Panasonic Quintrix set) has a better picture for Freeview than my new 42" Panasonic plasma (I still have them both in the same room so can do a like for like comparison), the picture on my plasma is not that much worse and I prefer it due to the size increase. As for HD sources, well, they are a league ahead.

If you are buying the TV purely for SD though, I would look at the 37" Panasonic plasmas, but I wouldn't rule out looking at the Pioneer PDP-4280XD. It's a a 42" set but I have seen people say time and time again (including WHF staff) that it offers the best SD picture bar none at the moment.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="roger06"]Not really looking for an answer but your comments would help - especially from those who've gone from the quality CRT to LCD / Plasma route.[/quote]

I recently changed from a 5 year old 28" Sony Wega to a Panasonic plasma, the picture on the Sony was good and my leap into plasma was not without reservation as like you every picture in shops with freeview looked the pits.

Having now made that "leap of faith" I can honestly say I have no regrets.

A

Anonymous

If you have concerns about free view and SD, I would go plasma. Having said that, I would go Plasma anyway, because I prefer the deep colours, and better motion handling.(have a long hard look at LCD blacks, they are wishy washy grey) As for size, I think the 37" is the perfect compromise from the quite small 32" and the 40-43" models.
Then you can get an LCD 32" as well, and you can compare them at your hearts content.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nigpd"]
I have a 36" Sony Wega CRT and can't wait to get a plasma!! The motion blur I get on the Wega is aweful

[/quote]

Really ? is it a 100 Hz as mine is razor sharp...

A

Anonymous

I have just ditched a Panasonix 28in QuintrixF 100hz in favour of a Panny TH42PX80.... I am far from disappointed. I was expecting to get a rubbish picture on the plasma when watching SD.... but it actually looks as good if not better!! Join the revolution.... buy one.... NOW!

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"]I have just ditched a Panasonix 28in QuintrixF 100hz in favour of a Panny TH42PX80.... I am far from disappointed. I was expecting to get a rubbish picture on the plasma when watching SD.... but it actually looks as good if not better!!
Join the revolution.... buy one.... NOW![/quote]

That's the kind of emphatic answer I was after! I was set on Sony but my sister has the 37" Panny plasma and I think I may well go for one of those...

A

Anonymous

Don't forget sound and Vision in Bolton have just lowered their prices. John Lewis accept price matches against Sound and Vision and will give you a free 5 year guarantee to boot. I got my 42PX80 for £709!!

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
[quote user="roger06"][quote user="nigpd"]

I have a 36" Sony Wega CRT and can't wait to get a plasma!! The motion blur I get on the Wega is aweful

[/quote]

Really ? is it a 100 Hz as mine is razor sharp...

[/quote] yes its definitely 100hz. I wonder if ive got it set up wrong ?? The classic symptom is the tickertape running along the bottom of news/sport. It starts off blurred for a few seconds and then becomes sharp.

Football is a nightmare with ball motion blur :(

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
My 37PX80 was delivered yesterday and although it is probably a little too early to say, it does appear to be a fantastic screen. Like you, I have just gone from a Sony 28" CRT, mine being about 5 years old. Have only watched SD so far, but impressed with the quality of motion handling on the two football matches (Palace v Stoke - Sky & Liverpool v Arsenal - ITV). Colour and contrast is fantastic, even as set to CINEMA mode for the initial 200 hours running in.
The sound, which several reviews has been disappointed with, seems okay for normal viewing, but as I would use a surround system for watching movies, not too concerned.

So far, so good. If you want a new screen then I would thoroughly recommend it.

A

Anonymous

Does the maual say you must use CINEMA mode for the first 200 hours? I thought that as long as you keep the colour and contrast at about half way you should be fine.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
No mention of settings in the manual, however a certain other AV forum suggest using Cinema mode. Personally I don't think it would really matter if you had it on higher settings, as screen retention/burn is unlikely unless you really abuse the settings and leave CBeebies on all day!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts