LCD/Plasma recommendation and Panasonic TV problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

First post here so please be gentle.
emotion-5.gif
Sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

I have been looking at a LCD/Plasma screen for another room. Size would be either 42" or 46". Budget is around £1600. Will be viewing Sky programmes but mostly Sky Sports for the football. What would you guys recommend?

Do the plasmas still need a bedding in period? If so, does that mean we can't use it for the initial period?

Also, I have a 8 year old Panasonic 36" TV which has this morning decided not to switch on, even though last night it was working fine. There is the red power led on the front and it tries to switch on, you see a white line across the middle of the screen for a couple of seconds and then it switches back to standby. Anyone had a similar problem and how did you get it fixed?

Would it be worth getting it repaired or is there a chance it'll fail again?

Cheers.

James.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The Pioneer 428XD (or 4280XD) plasma really is the best out there at that size/price range. That's 42" and definitely worth getting down to a decent TV shop to have a look at. At that price you could also get a Sony 46W3000 - a very highly regarded LCD. It's down to personal preference but I personally would always go with the plasma for watching football as they handle fast moving action better. Both are great sets though. The Pioneer doesn't really need bedding in. You should be ok using it straight away as long you haven't got all the settings on max.

I'd definitely look at getting your old set fixed. Those old Panasonics were great sets. Just grab the Yellow Pages and look for a decent TV repair shop.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Fuzzy.

I have narrowed the choice down to:

[*]
Panasonic TH50PZ70 (£1400)
[*]

Panasonic TH50PX70 (£1100)
[*]

Pioneer PDP428XD (£1500)
[*]

Samsung LE46F86BDX (£1400)
[*]

Sony KDL46W3000U (£1600)

The Panasonic, Sony and Samsung TVs are Full HD, will i see much difference between them and the Pioneer 428XD which is only HD-ready? Does having Full HD make them future proof?
Another disadvantage for the Pioneer is that it's only 42" while the others are 46" or 50". The other half would obviously prefer the bigger screen at the lower price unless the Pioneer produces that much better a picture?

Regarding the repair of the old Panasonic, any idea on what i should be looking pay?

Much appreciate the help guys.

A

Anonymous

Not so difficult jfh.
Pioneer 428xd.
Any bigger Panasonic 50pz70 easily.

TRENDING THREADS