Ladies and gentlemen

manicm

I'm sort of waving goodbye to traditional hifi for now, what with an eight month old baby, and a big enough lounge but a layout that precludes any full size speakers, also taking into consideration I've been watching more Netflix, so...

They're installing a Denon Heos Bar tomorrow - hooked up to my CA 751BD player and my telly of-course.

The Heos Bar is quite pricey and humungous, has not been reviewed yet, but I've decided to take the plunge since it's supposed to have a hifi slant, does Tidal, Spotify etc and hires including DSD, apparently gives ample bass even without a sub, can play music from phones - important especially to wife, and can play from NAS and Bluetooth. Does not do Airplay sadly, hopefully they remedy this sometime, and will soon even have an Atmos update. Also has USB for sticks etc - something Sonos lacks. Will do Alexa soon as well.

Later as funds allow I will add the wireless Heos sub and wireless and surrounds for 5.1. As it is, it's actually a 3.0 bar, so movie dialog should be good.

I still want to make the most out of my music collection, so any advice as to hooking to my tv and bluray will be kindly and much appreciated e.g. do I use ARC, do I use seperate video and audio HDMI connections from my 751BD etc.

Thank you.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
manicm said:
I'm sort of waving goodbye to traditional hifi for now, what with an eight month old baby, and a big enough lounge but a layout that precludes any full size speakers, also taking into consideration I've been watching more Netflix, so...

They're installing a Denon Heos Bar tomorrow - hooked up to my CA 751BD player and my telly of-course.

The Heos Bar is quite pricey and humungous, has not been reviewed yet, but I've decided to take the plunge since it's supposed to have a hifi slant, does Tidal, Spotify etc and hires including DSD, apparently gives ample bass even without a sub, can play music from phones - important especially to wife, and can play from NAS and Bluetooth. Does not do Airplay sadly, hopefully they remedy this sometime, and will soon even have an Atmos update. Also has USB for sticks etc - something Sonos lacks. Will do Alexa soon as well.

Later as funds allow I will add the wireless Heos sub and wireless and surrounds for 5.1. As it is, it's actually a 3.0 bar, so movie dialog should be good.

I still want to make the most out of my music collection, so any advice as to hooking to my tv and bluray will be kindly and much appreciated e.g. do I use ARC, do I use seperate video and audio HDMI connections from my 751BD etc.

Thank you.
normally you just use a HDMI cable from your blu-ray player to the back of your TV to use ARC connection so when you turn your TV off everything else will turn off and wife friendly .

manicm

@BlackSabbath, I actually thought - and the Denon manual recommends it - that I would connect the TV ARC to the Denon ARC, and connect the blu-ray to the Denon via another HDMI input. Note the Denon acts as an AV receiver.

I could also do as you suggest, and instead connect the TV via its optical output to the Denon. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
manicm said:
@BlackSabbath, I actually thought - and the Denon manual recommends it - that I would connect the TV ARC to the Denon ARC, and connect the blu-ray to the Denon via another HDMI input. Note the Denon acts as an AV receiver.

I could also do as you suggest, and instead connect the TV via its optical output to the Denon. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.
you can use a optical cable for sound but a Hdmi cable will pass sound and image but does your Denon have pass through ? As this will pass sound and image through one HDMI cable using ARC

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to ask what TV do you have because if it’s a 4k TV you need a high speed HDMI cable and some TVs also have a optical connection to

i use 3 audioquest Peal HDMI cables with my setup about £30 for a meter long cable

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
manicm said:

Thanks for the help.

Not sure whether or not I am out of date but ARC only passes Dolby Digital so high-res audio formats from the BD player would not be available. Some TVs do pass higher res through ARC but only if the audio is originating from the TV. Agree about the comment of multi-switch off/on but better to connect BD to Denon so that ARC is only being used to 'send back' TV audio to the AVR

you can use a optical cable for sound but a Hdmi cable will pass sound and image but does your Denon have pass through ? As this will pass sound and image through one HDMI cable using ARC

manicm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I don't think hires playback from the bdp will be a problem as it's connected to the Denon seperately via HDMI, ditto my set top box. If I want sound from the bdp I actually have to select the appropriate source from the Denon.

So I got it installed today as such:

1. TV ARC to HDMI (ARC) OUT on Denon

2. Set top box to Denon - HDMI

3. BDP to Denon - HDMI

Functionally it's all working perfect. What's cool as well is if I switch off the Denon, sound automatically routes through the TV speakers again as before. I am a AV newbie.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts