Klipsch Heresy III and Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone used Klipsch Heresy III loudspeakers with an Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP? (Or similar, not too expensive, 15 - 20 Watt per channel valve amp with 'bog standard' valves.)

Trying to get head around a 1950s vintage system, comfortably under £2K, without buying actual 1950s equipment (with all that entails including bidding against crazy far-eastern collectors with bottomless budgets).

Klipsch Heresy IIIs are rated at 99dB sensitivity for 1 Watt @ 1 metre I assume that 15 Watts per channel (from the Stereo 20 PP*) will be ok at the moderate volumes I enjoy.

All alternative ideas welcome so long as they don't exceed the total price of the kit listed above**, have claim to some genuine 1950s 'DNA' in their design, and can be bought without any hassle, brand-new, in the UK either direct or from a reputable dealer. (Proper guarantees and support in other words.)

Ta.

* 'PP' in this instance is part of Icon Audio's nomenclature and not a reference to polymer simulacrums of any fish eating, flightless birds found in the Southern hemisphere.

** £999 and £699

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chebby ... you might want to double check the price of the Heresy IIIs ... £999 is the probably the price of one speaker not a pair ...

FYI ... I went down that route and ended up with a UR Preludio (14W) and a pair of mint Heresy IIs. Total ~1500. Unfortunately I haven't had time to set up and hear that combination together ... but even with my 89dB efficiency speakers (see sig,) they valve amp is quite loud and full sounding at 1/4 volume.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
* 'PP' in this instance is part of Icon Audio's nomenclature and not a reference to polymer simulacrums of any fish eating, flightless birds found in the Southern hemisphere.

** £999 and £699

Lol , priceless.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thought you were after one of these?

gallery-r7-08.jpg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Why do you want to do this? Do you really think they could design better kit in the 1950s than now?

Of course if you want to collect antiques I'm on your side. I collect art deco china and it is lovely as a work of art. Often, as a teacup, it's pants.

Chris

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I reckon that Stereo 20 would be a cracking little amp for a small room / study / 2nd system

my valve / vinyl addiciton is building momentum :0

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
Hi Chebby ... you might want to double check the price of the Heresy IIIs ... £999 is the probably the price of one speaker not a pair

B###er!

Oh well, you can't get more 1950s than one big speaker in the corner. (Lots of hi-fis were mono back then I believe.) Problem with that is finding a modern, mono, valve integrated amp at a similar price.

So, back to the web to look for v. efficient speakers (with some 1950s 'lineage') big enough to get a decent sized rubber plant on top and for under a grand :)

benherb19808

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I use the Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP with Quad 11L Classic speakers, which are less efficient than the Klipsch Heresy. The combination generates plenty of volume in my modest sized listening area at non-seismic volume levels, and sounds great! I suspect the 20 PP would work fine with the Klipsch. I also use the Icon PS2 phono stage, which seems to work very well with the 20 PP.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I used some Heresy IIs for a while with a Decware Zen (~1.5wpc SV83/EL84 SET) and it was fine, in fact in terms of matching was a pretty good pair!

Only downside is I could not get the Heresys to work in my room, on floor close to walls, away from walls, in corners, on stands they just never sounded smooth in the bass.

TRENDING THREADS