KEF REFERENCE stand moutn 201/2...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Any one heard these?
I keep seeing amazing looking ( and these are sooooo amazing looking) speakers on ebay in my price range and keep getting slightly tempted for a change!! Once again anyone with comparisons to 805S would be great! Cheers!

A

Anonymous

A quick search threw up all these openions.

kef_2012_angled.jpg

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
How good do they look! But i wouldnt go for the gloss finish. To be honest ive done this before with KEF speakers and the XQ30s that looked amazing and sounded bland...
These look to be a different proposition alltogether though!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Reference are quite a different kettle of fish altogether when compared to the XQ's. Basically, the Reference is more of a money no object type of affair, with much better finishing and quality of components. Obviously they need careful setting up and they also need to be driven properly too - a sub £1k integrated amp isn't going to do the job - in that case, they would sound bland, which is often the case when a speaker is insufficiently driven.

I've tried them against other standmount speakers at a similar price point, one in particular, and they wiped the floor with them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
The Reference are quite a different kettle of fish altogether when compared to the XQ's. Basically, the Reference is more of a money no object type of affair, with much better finishing and quality of components. Obviously they need careful setting up and they also need to be driven properly too - a sub £1k integrated amp isn't going to do the job - in that case, they would sound bland, which is often the case when a speaker is insufficiently driven.

I've tried them against other standmount speakers at a similar price point, one in particular, and they wiped the floor with them.

And they were?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Mr David, Would you be kind enough to comment on bass extention of these stand mounts?
I would be driving them with a MF KW550 so do you think that i should have enough power for these?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Obviously the performance of speakers like these will depend on the amplifier they're being fed with. I'm not familiar with your specific amplifier, but MF usually has a fair amount of current behind it, so you should be fine. I've driven them before from a Naim NAP200 and Quad 909 without any problems.

Bass extention is very good for their size, the cabinet is extremely solid and well braced, allowing nice clean, fairly uncoloured bass. Due to their solid cabinet and quality drivers, they are very well controlled, Bass is solid, and if there's any issues of near wall placement, their Boundary Compensation controls should even things out.

Their matching stands are recommended, as is filling them with sand or Atacama Atabites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts