kef R300 vs B&W 685 S2

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have searched but I cannot find any posts which compares the Kef R300 against B&Ws 685 S2. I would really welcome some opinions please.

thanks

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have heard these and own the r300's.

personally thought they were nice speakers , as was the whole range, but IMHO kef still have the nudge on them. I found them really nice with most of what I heard but slightly uncomfortable when really demanding music was played, however for the money they are probably some of the best I have heard.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I had them both in my setup and i don't think it is fair to compare them. They sound quite different and are in a different price range. Like said above, the B&W CM (CM5) range should be compared with the Kef R range

I also think you better listen for yourself.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

I have the new B&W 685s2.

Before I bought these I've listened to the old 685, KEF Q300 and KEF R300. They where all standing in the same listening area at a local hifi store. They where connected to Rotel hifiset (CD-player, tuner and amp).

In my opinion the 685 are the better moniter of the 4. When I heard them, they were fresh from the box, cold on the shelve, next to the old ones. The vocals sound's on the new one beter, like the artist is standing right in front of you. The sound is quite neutral, witch my wife and I like. The KEF Q300 are, IMHO, the lesser monitor. When we where listening, is looked like the artist was 20 meters away from us, compared to the 685s2. But, like more things in life, it's kind of personal.

In the near future I want to buy a new amp. Now I'm using an old NAD 3020 which cracks a little when starting up. I want to listen to the Rotel RA 12 and the Arcam FMJ A19.

Good luck with your choice and, listen, listen listen.......

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Reijer said:
Hi there.

I have the new B&W 685s2.

Before I bought these I've listened to the old 685, KEF Q300 and KEF R300. They where all standing in the same listening area at a local hifi store. They where connected to Rotel hifiset (CD-player, tuner and amp).

In my opinion the 685 are the better moniter of the 4. When I heard them, they were fresh from the box, cold on the shelve, next to the old ones. The vocals sound's on the new one beter, like the artist is standing right in front of you. The sound is quite neutral, witch my wife and I like. The KEF Q300 are, IMHO, the lesser monitor. When we where listening, is looked like the artist was 20 meters away from us, compared to the 685s2. But, like more things in life, it's kind of personal.

In the near future I want to buy a new amp. Now I'm using an old NAD 3020 which cracks a little when starting up. I want to listen to the Rotel RA 12 and the Arcam FMJ A19.

Good luck with your choice and, listen, listen listen.......

Highly recommend the Arcam A19 with 685 S2. Nicest sounding combo I've ever heard. Both the speakers and amp need a decent bit of running in to sound their best, a few hours of playing per day for about a week I found. As for the 685 S2, I did a home demo of a well broken pair of Kef LS50's but enjoyed the B&W's far more. Much better for lower volume listening too due to higher sensitivity.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I own the B&W 685 S2 for some time now and i have tested the KEF R300 in my own setup.

All i can say is that in my setup/room the B&W 685 S2 sounds better than the KEF R300. The B&W sounds more open, has more detail and is more agile. The bass is also tighter and has more punch.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Reijer said:
In my opinion the 685 are the better moniter of the 4. When I heard them, they were fresh from the box, cold on the shelve, next to the old ones. The vocals sound's on the new one beter, like the artist is standing right in front of you. The sound is quite neutral, witch my wife and I like.

What would Freud say?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the very, very, very late reaction but I bought a TEAC AI 501DA class D amp. After auditioning several amp's this was to our (wife to) opinion the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts