KEF Q900 vs B&W CM8

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody ever compared the KEF Q900 vs B&W CM8?

I was thinking of replacing my KEF IQ5SE hoping that I will notice a major improvement.

My system:

Amp: YAQIN MC-100B custom

Dac: Cambridge DacMagic

Cable: QED silver Anniversary Bi-wire

It will be mainly used to listen to music and sometimes for movies (but rarely)

I am looking to get a more spacious and deeper sound

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I asked this same question to David at Hifix, a retailer who stocks all the speakers and can give you an ubiased opinion. His bottom line was that the Q900 is a better sounding speaker than the CM8. Visually its huge comapred to the CM8 speakers so size must be considered here.

Im in the same position as you right now im upgrading too and to the same packages you mention. Im leaning towards the Q900 myself, however I have not heard them yet. I heard the CM8 package on the LX83 Pioneer and it made myjaw drop.

I would advse you to demo the speakers in stereo for your music and see which one you prefer. I would also consider the RX8 as that has been reported as being better for Music by some. Its all personal taste :)

Q900 is the winner for all i have queried

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Exactly the same for me, I have listened to the CM8 and compare to my IQ5SE they are giving a lot more details and a better 3D effect.

However, I haven't tested the Q700 yet and they're also slightly cheaper so I am hesitating...
emotion-40.gif

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately whichever you go for they will all deliver the performance expected, i dont think you or me will buy one and regret it. All of the speakers mentioned are outstanding. Couple it with a good AV and you are laughing :)

Im going to test the RX8 and Q900 at some stage, Im just worried i wont hear the difference. Then I will be totally confused!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex:Im going to test the RX8 and Q900 at some stage, Im just worried i wont hear the difference.
Oh you will! And I don't mean it's a foregone conclusion, I just mean that they're VERY different in their presentation
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SDIESEL77:I was wondering if anybody ever compared the KEF Q900 vs B&W CM8? I was thinking of replacing my KEF IQ5SE hoping that I will notice a major improvement
Whichever one you go for, you will see quite an improvement (although I will say I'm not familiar with your amplifier, so can't comment on how well they'll match up). The new UniQ has greatly advanced from previous versions, and you should see improvements in all areas.

As recommended, audition in 2 channel mode in order to evaluate them, then try them in an AV system to see how they perform with movie soundtracks. Although, I'd say this is more relevant if you were trying the whole package.

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your comments

Regarding the sound preference, I am mostly listening to Rock music, would both brand be on the same level regarding this type of music?

I have currently connected both amp (AV & Stereo) to the same pair of IQ5SE, even if when I am using one amp the other one is not on, do you think this could impact the quality of sound?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I know some say that certain speakers suit certain types of music etc, but personally, I think it's down to how YOU want to hear the music you listen to. It's all very well someone saying that Speaker A is quite an aggressive sound and will suit rock and grunge, but if you like your rock smooth, you'll not like them. When people recommend speakers for certain types of music, I'd treat that as meaningfully as stating watts per channel. When I state that certain speakers suit certain types of music, that's justice stating my preference, how I like to hear those styles of music.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
same here, my primary preference is Rock, but as mentioned previously its a matter of preference for the speaker. I demo'd the following on the CM8 and RX8

Mothership - Immigrant song

Greenday - Jesus of Suburbia

Queen - Radio GA GA and Princes of the universe

Now the sound produced from the CM8 were detailed and immense, I heard ever drum stroak, every pluck of a guitar string, it waqs a beautiful sound, with the bass perfectly weighted. The Sub with the CM8 is probably the best sounding bass out there at the moment - for me that is. But to be honest even without it connected they sounded incredible.

I tested the RX8 too and i found it to be a more refined sound with lots of detail, it was clean and very sharp, I heard little effects i didnt pick up on CM8. This is not to say the CM8 was a slouch, far from it. I believe the RX8 just pipped the CM8 here because of the refined detail and tighter sound, however they are not as pleasing to the eye as the CM8 and the sub is not as great, so for movies the CM8 will win. If looks are not a concern then go for the RX8!! Me personally I do not care much for looks over performance, but that's just me.

Also look at the GS20 too, there are some great offers around at the moment on them. I will test them and the Q900 and report back :)

David - Im trying to get a demo for the Kef Q900 and GS20, It looks like im going to have to drive to Coventry and then cry a little as I give you my Card details :) You are right about the LX83 im going for that, now to test the last two packages out. Will try and do it down here if possible....

Huseyin

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SDIESEL77:I have currently connected both amp (AV & Stereo) to the same pair of IQ5SE, even if when I am using one amp the other one is not on, do you think this could impact the quality of sound?

It could do an awful lot more than that, it's a very bad idea, you risk destroying both amps and speakers.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:I know some say that certain speakers suit certain types of music etc, but personally, I think it's down to how YOU want to hear the music you listen to. It's all very well someone saying that Speaker A is quite an aggressive sound and will suit rock and grunge, but if you like your rock smooth, you'll not like them. When people recommend speakers for certain types of music, I'd treat that as meaningfully as stating watts per channel. When I state that certain speakers suit certain types of music, that's justice stating my preference, how I like to hear those styles of music.

I think you're right to a certain extent although IMO there is some justification for talk of matching speakers with different tastes, maybe not by musical genre as such, more in terms of actual instrumentation used - so there's clearly a correlation. When I had a recent demo (B&W 685, CM1, KEF Q300, Epos Epic 2) one of my test tracks has a live grand piano. Now I'm not a piano virtuoso or anything but I think I know what one sounds like and some of the speakers - namely KEF and Epos - did a significantly better job than the others - namely both B&W - in portraying that sound accurately. On the other hand if you're listening to dance or electronica, how can anyone know whether a synthesized sound or drum machine is accurately portrayed?* Maybe then the listener will be more impressed by a full, rich bass or punchiness than the precise tone heard in the mid-range?

*Actually, having visited Genesis forums in the past, there are probably a few anoraks who know exactly what an ARP Pro-Soloist should sound like, but you get my drift, hopefully!
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree that those who know what certain instruments sound like will choose certain speakers - for them it's reproducing an instrument they know, or play, accurately.

I did a demo where the guy was using Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas. I'd never heard the track before, and I'm not really keen on them. But the track was all electronic, and for me, of all the speakers he tried (which were many!) it was only the KEF Reference that had any impact to the electronic snare drum. Whether this is accurate or not I don't know (although I do find the Reference models handle electronic music extremely well), but that was how I would've liked/expected to hear that track. He chose the Reference too.

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Even with the other amplifier switch off???
emotion-3.gif

Otherwise, the solution would be to use a speaker selector switch but I might be loosing in sound quality...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts