Kef ls50 wireless vs AE1a

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
drummerman said:
Has anyone here heard and compared both?

Yep. I demo'd both of them a while ago as I had narrowed it down to these two when looking for a pair of active speakers. They were both on the end of a new Naim Uniti Atom and I spent a couple of hours at the dealers putting them through their paces.

In short, I bought the AE1's as (in my view) they were streets ahead of the Kefs in every single respect and I made that choice pretty quickly despite the dealer lauding the LS50's as the better speaker. 3 months in I have no regrets and think the AE1's are an absolute steal at their price point.

They are currently on the end of my Linn Akurate DSM and sound wonderful - these two are a great match.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
How do AE1a's sound with not as good source material? Also what are the best volume levels for them?

I've not heard either but was disappointed with LS50 passives.

Hi

To be honest, I don't know as most of the listening I do is via Tidal HiFi or NAS based FLAC files but if that's of interest to you then I can take a listen to some lower res stuff from Amazon this week if it would help?

Volume wise I set the speakers to about 75% volume then use the streamer to handle the rest. I don't tend to listen to ear-splitting levels but on occasion, I have cranked them up a fair bit and they have handled pretty much everything at 'loud enough' levels without distortion or having a wobble. There are a few folk on here who rave about them and I can only agree. It took me perhaps longer than most to get used to them but I honestly can't find a bad thing to say - they are THAT good.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
With Paulq’s comments about the AEs. Can’t comment on comparisons with the KEF actives however although they nearly made it to my audition list (was interested in sound comparisons but didn’t want or need the onboard dac etc).

Looking forward to you sharing your thoughts if you are able to hear both Drummerman

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Thanks PaulQ.

I hope to hear both at Bristol.

I for one will be very interested to hear what you make of the LS50W. I was most unimpressed after the initial midrange wow had passed as you may have read. Don’t let whoever is showing them off get away with a mild mannered playlist! Also try to listen to them at low volume if there is a lull...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if my opinion will be of much use as my equipment is far more modest than yours. I remember you saying that the LS50a sounded like a small speaker. Looking at your signature I can believe that. I on the other hand have used stand mounts for a long time.

gasolin

Kef LS50's don't sound small to me (the room has a bit bass problems or they record very close to the wall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4IUVf8AX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtmBX33fl4

insider9

I will be intrigued to see what you think. Value for money AE1a's win hands down. Just can't see LS50w be that much better than their passive counterparts. If that's the case then it would be AE1a should I be buying (from choice of two that is).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts