KEF LS50 Speaker Grilles

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Interested in buying a set of KEF LS50 speakers for my HiFi system but put off a little by the lack of grilles. Have had a listen to them and impressed with the sound and they would fit in with the system i have nicely but the front just puts me off, like the black, dont like the cones. Any one have the same opinion? If so what did you do to improve the look? The GF wont be too happy if i come back with a set, stick them in her 'designer' living space! i'm set on them but really want to know if there is a solution to the issue? Seen a few others have the same opinion on forums but nothing set in stone as to how to improve it bar blu tacking grille cloth on the front!

Thanks,

Brendan

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Thanks, did look at them but feel there even less subtle then the blacks. I have done some looking around on the net and seems most people go for the blu tack method but surely spending the money on a speaker like this just takes away from overall quality of it. Like having a BMW with a massive bodykit.

I know its a popular speaker and the looks are marmite and people will put up with it as the sound is excellent. Is the looks something you get use to or do pepole have a solution to it?

iceman16

oibren85 said:
Hi, Thanks, did look at them but feel there even less subtle then the blacks. I have done some looking around on the net and seems most people go for the blu tack method but surely spending the money on a speaker like this just takes away from overall quality of it. Like having a BMW with a massive bodykit.

I know its a popular speaker and the looks are marmite and people will put up with it as the sound is excellent. Is the looks something you get use to or do pepole have a solution to it?

I think the LS50 were designed without grills so if you put something like grills "may" compromise the sound.

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
i would take a lack of sound to remove the look a little I think. Surely using acoustic fabric on a frame wouldnt make too much difference if designed right. Will go get the pencils out and see what i can come up with, sure i can harness the power of the Blue Peter badge and come up with a design for one of the guys to CNC.

D

Deleted member 108165

Blimey if you're worried about looks and finish you should take a gander at my PMC DB1's; the finish is terrible, but the sound is astonishing. But hey, each to their own I guess
regular_smile.gif

iceman16

oibren85 said:
i would take a lack of sound to remove the look a little I think. Surely using acoustic fabric on a frame wouldnt make too much difference if designed right. Will go get the pencils out and see what i can come up with, sure i can harness the power of the Blue Peter badge and come up with a design for one of the guys to CNC.

btw.. what other speakers have you listened to( and wife), size of your room( I mean listening space) ,source and amp you couple with the LS50?

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Not worried, just think it can be improved to make it more of a low impact on the visuals. Lots of forums saying how great they can blend into the background sound wise but looks wise not so much. A nice curved bracket with a low impact black grille i think could set them off nicely.

As for your PMC's are quite nice, not over stated and clean.

Setup is, Roksan M2 amp and CD Player, Atlas Cabling and listening room roughly 4x3. I've listened to Dali Mentors and Ikons and also the KEF R300.

Dont get me wrong, i'm pretty much set on the LS50, it was more if there was a solution out there then i could appease the GF and be done with it. I'm quite happy to sketch it out and come up with an idea now, sure a simple solution and nothing to hard to make.

iceman16

oibren85 said:
Not worried, just think it can be improved to make it more of a low impact on the visuals. Lots of forums saying how great they can blend into the background sound wise but looks wise not so much. A nice curved bracket with a low impact black grille i think could set them off nicely.

As for your PMC's are quite nice, not over stated and clean.

Setup is, Roksan M2 amp and CD Player, Atlas Cabling and listening room roughly 4x3. I've listened to Dali Mentors and Ikons and also the KEF R300.

Dont get me wrong, i'm pretty much set on the LS50, it was more if there was a solution out there then i could appease the GF and be done with it. I'm quite happy to sketch it out and come up with an idea now, sure a simple solution and nothing to hard to make.

i won't be surprised if you prefer the LS50 compared to others you've mentioned in your size of room.If Im not mistaken it's the rose gold colour of the drivers that your partner is not keen to or puts her off?

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally i found that the LS50 and Roksan M2 sounded very dull and boring to listen to when i had this combo so i ended up selling the Kefs and purchased Tannoys instead this was a much better combo.

Even PMC speakers work better with the Roksan amp which i have to say is something rather special indead.

Also i think Kef should have offered them in gloss black with the blue woofer that would have looked rather lush.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The LS50s look the way they do for technical reasons. Conventional speakers have a flat baffle - this is easier to make, to fit a grille, and is more acceptable. The front panel/baffle of the LS50 doesn't affect the UniQ driver's output in any way. I suppose a round grille could have been added to cover the driver, but it'd have to stick out far enough to allow for cone movement, so would look a little odd, like an old fashioned diver's helmet.

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
So this is what my friend has done for me and think its a fairly straight forward idea.

http://c2n.me/38Grfgs.jpg

Just copy and paste in your browser. This is what I was thinking of.

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Not at present, just a drawing concept if that makes sense. We just had a chat and a chin wag and come up with the idea. We dont want to spoil the looks or the sound hense keeping the curve but keeping it simple. He saying it would be fairly simple to make as it can be CNC machined and only difficult bit would be making the fabric stay with the curve hense the think layer of foam. Might get a prototype made up and see what it looks like depending on price. Good thing he mentioned is that because of it you could use different coloured cloths and paint to customise them to look whatever you want. So you could have black and black, black and white, white and black, black and red etc. depending on the room.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
oibren85 said:
Not at present, just a drawing concept if that makes sense. We just had a chat and a chin wag and come up with the idea. We dont want to spoil the looks or the sound hense keeping the curve but keeping it simple. He saying it would be fairly simple to make as it can be CNC machined and only difficult bit would be making the fabric stay with the curve hense the think layer of foam. Might get a prototype made up and see what it looks like depending on price. Good thing he mentioned is that because of it you could use different coloured cloths and paint to customise them to look whatever you want. So you could have black and black, black and white, white and black, black and red etc. depending on the room.

You'd probably be able sell those. I bet there are plenty of people who want grills for their LS50's.

oibren85

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
If theres enough interest could be something I can do. Will see what it would cost to get them produced. Maybe if theres enough interest I could look into getting a batch done afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts