Kef LS50 original (ex-demo) vs. LS50 Meta (new)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 116933

@lmlmlm

I think for the £$1k mark there are better speakers that offers far more rounded experiance that are far less amp "hungry".

What I get from your posts is you're confused about what you want and you sound somewhat inexperienced (no offence) DONT KEEP WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDS!! you really need to go to the dealer and listen for a few hours/a day to what the money really buys you between the brands/ranges. And ask them to set them up as close to what you can afford as possible and place them how you would at home. eg 10cm from the wall and so on to get a more of feeling for them see how each speaker reacts in that scenario. No one has speakers set 3 meters into the room/perfectly set up in the home environment, outside a dedicated listening room. Then ask if you can borrow them! even if you have to lay a small refundable deposit play with them for a week or 2.

Set your self a budget the same as the kef wireless and see what you can get (you don't have to spend this). Spend less on speakers and more amps with the functionality you need, streaming, connectivity and what not

In the end, i bet you'll spend way less for an amazing system that's just as capable if you spend wisely.

I don't care what anybody says efficiency is king. Look for speakers 90db (Or thereabouts) and above with 8ohm load at dips no further than. 20-30watts would rock your world then. Stop chasing power. It gets expensive quickly

I reckon A bluesound power node 2i and some qAcoustics would be a great place to start. Maybe try some dentons with it as well and go from there.

We can spitball ideas at you all day but in truth we not helping you all we're doing is confusing you.

Above all listen to what the dealer has to say tell them your needs.

Probably not what you want to hear but have fun with the process

Reactions: lmlmlm

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Probably not what you want to hear but have fun with the process

Actually I did visit 3 shops already and have listened to a few speakers, in different power setups and in showroom environments:
  • LS50 originals and Metas sounded great with my very own playlist (different, quite strong amps in 2 shops, which may have been deceiving because I will probably never own 10.000$ amps). I did like both LS50 versions and was not able to tell the difference between them honestly (original vs. Meta)
  • also listened to the LS50 W2 --- again sounded awesome and I was not able to tell the difference from the Meta`s which I have tried in the very same room
  • also tried Sonus Faber Lumina which sounded good, "warm" sounding, but probably helped by the Naim Unity Atom they were powered by
  • also tried some Elac Debut 5.2 and I certainly did not like that sound, somehow felt too sharp
  • also tried Elac Carina, better than the Debut but again not impressed
  • also tried Q Acoustics 3020 (don't remember which amp) - i did not like these speakers
I know all this sounds like I probably still want the LS50 one way or another.
  • one of the shops ran the Meta`s through a Nuprime Omnia A300 quite compact 150wpc amp/dac/streamer -- and I was really drawn to this setup
Before that, I'm also trying to get an idea of the Wharfedale Diamonds, but local shops are a bit behind on the Diamond supply. I am really hooked on the Wharfedale Diamond idea, as they seem to go back a long time and I like what I hear about the warm, laid back, british sound.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Actually I did visit 3 shops already and have listened to a few speakers, in different power setups and in showroom environments:
  • LS50 originals and Metas sounded great with my very own playlist (different, quite strong amps in 2 shops, which may have been deceiving because I will probably never own 10.000$ amps). I did like both LS50 versions and was not able to tell the difference between them honestly (original vs. Meta)
  • also listened to the LS50 W2 --- again sounded awesome and I was not able to tell the difference from the Meta`s which I have tried in the very same room
  • also tried Sonus Faber Lumina which sounded good, "warm" sounding, but probably helped by the Naim Unity Atom they were powered by
  • also tried some Elac Debut 5.2 and I certainly did not like that sound, somehow felt too sharp
  • also tried Q Acoustics 3020 (don't remember which amp) - i did not like these speakers
  • one of the shops ran the Meta`s through a Nuprime Omnia A300 quite compact 150wpc amp/dac/streamer -- and I was really drawn to this setup
Before that, I'm also trying to get an idea of the Wharfedale Diamonds, but local shops are a bit behind on the Diamond supply. I am really hooked on the Wharfedale Diamond idea, as they seem to go back a long time and I like what I hear about the warm, laid back, british sound.

Sound like a man with a plan. sounds like you don't need are help. We can't help you with that last step! that painful step of committing and paying LOL

So you didn't take the Brio in...

None of the shops that I went to had the Brio up for testing unfortunatelly.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Take in your amp, I know it's a faff, and you will get a better idea.

In the two years I looked to upgrade my little Arcam A65+ I've lost count of the amount of foot-sore miles I covered. The benefits, though, far outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: Oxfordian

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Got it. I have literally narrowed down my search to either the LS50 Meta or any of the Wharfedales 12.1/12.2.

A local shop seems to have received Diamonds in stock and I will arrange a visit next week.

We can't help you with that last step! that painful step of committing and paying LOL

Buying is the easy part and I will definitely finalize this :)

Got it. I have literally narrowed down my search to either the LS50 Meta or any of the Wharfedales 12.1/12.2.

A local shop seems to have received Diamonds in stock and I will arrange a visit next week.

Buying is the easy part and I will definitely finalize this :)

Based on those two alone the Kefs will win out. They're not comparable pricewise or age. The Wharfedales first came out in 2009.

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Plan remains to listen to Wharfedales soon in a local shop, 3 hours drive away, but already made arrangements.

Meanwhile I'm still digging around and had an "a-ha" moment yesterday where in this Youtube video heard a point which gave this a different perspective. This reviewer saying there is metal tweeter category, more analytical (generally, KEF, Focal, Elac), versus soft dome tweeters category (Wharfedale, Dynaudio) which are generally more neutral, warmer, natural sounding.

This is probably why Wharfedale's get described as more "laid back" in some other places. Also probably why LS50's sometimes get used as studio monitors for the clarity and so on (which is something I could probably live without).

So, while still going to test out the Wharfedale 12.1 and 12.2, I'm now looking at maybe rule out the LS50 Meta's completely and also try:
  • Dynaudio Evoke 10
  • Buchardt S300 (both priced similar to the LS50 Meta's) or S400 (superior price to the Meta's)
  • either option likely paired with the Musical Fidelity m3si and this would be my more 'exotic' option
My safer, less expensive option would be either of the Diamonds, with a Rega Brio.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Plan remains to listen to Wharfedales soon in a local shop, 3 hours drive away, but already made arrangements.

Meanwhile I'm still digging around and had an "a-ha" moment yesterday where in this Youtube video heard a point which gave this a different perspective. This reviewer saying there is metal tweeter category, more analytical (generally, KEF, Focal, Elac), versus soft dome tweeters category (Wharfedale, Dynaudio) which are generally more neutral, warmer, natural sounding.

This is probably why Wharfedale's get described as more "laid back" in some other places. Also probably why LS50's sometimes get used as studio monitors for the clarity and so on (which is something I could probably live without).

It's the usual 'audiophile' blanket statement.

I really wouldn't pay much attention.

Some of the best speakers use metallic tweeters. Some of the best speakers use fabric tweeters and some of the best speakers use whatever else tweeters.

Some really bad speakers use either one of the above.

My Kef's have a 'Super sweet' (refined) treble IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyCC72 and lmlmlm

Oxfordian

Can I chip in and ask a question, isn’t it a partnership between amp and speakers that is key to the right sound for a listeners ears, this is why where possible an audition is key?

My local dealer is keen for me to have a pair of LS50 Metas’ powered by an Audiolab 6000A, now this may be a great combination but I am keen to try my old Arcam Alpha 8 amp with some different speakers first, if I can get a sound I like I can potentially save some money but also upgrade the amp at a later date if necessary.

It is so confusing at times.

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Guys, I really did it.

Just blew all my budget on a beautiful, carbon frame, gravel bike, because I enjoy that stuff more and so, this hi-fi journey's likely getting delayed to Black Friday, or next year's Black Friday, or something like that :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the ideas posted (y)

Reactions: RoA and Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Guys, I really did it.

Just blew all my budget on a beautiful, carbon frame, gravel bike, because I enjoy that stuff more and so, this hi-fi journey's likely getting delayed to Black Friday, or next year's Black Friday, or something like that :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the ideas posted (y)

Haha, good luck on the bike, enjoying life is the most important thing, have fun. 😀

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts