Kef IQ5 v/s IQ5SE...

A

Anonymous

The iQ5, along with the Q4, were an early attempt at a compact slimline floorstander that delivered. While they were ok, they didn't cut it. They were fine when used in small mode on an AV amp, but lacked low end and warmth when used in two channel mode.

The iQ5SE has been much improved over the iQ5. They actually sound like they have the bass of the iQ7, which was a major step forward. They're still a little lean sounding compared to the competition, but that has always been KEF's signature (until you get to Reference of course). Compare tham against other manufacturers usually not so insightful, lacking the reble and midrange detail of KEF's UniQ driver.

For the price that the iQ5SE can be had for, which is only slightly more than the iQ5's, it's a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

This is a big difference and if you shop around you can find IQ5 SE's at bargin prices at the mo as the (less able) IQ50 replacement has been launched.

Just a word of warning the IQ5SE is not the most stable floor stander you will find out there. If you have small children bear this in mind. On the plus side it looks really good.

I'd say sound is quite detailed - good if you like to hear what each instrument is doing. Perhaps a bit to analytical for some tastes?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The iQ50's are a decent step up from the 5SE's, it's just that most people aren't going to pay twice the price for the 50's at the moment! Having said that, I did have one customer who chose the iQ50's over the competition and iQ5SE's to partner a Cyrus pre/power......

The iQ5SE's are a compact slim floorstander. This will always result in an unstable speaker without adding big, unsightly bases. A bit of ballast in the form of sand or Atabites in the bottom of the cabinet will help, but let's face it, any floorstander can be toppled when pushed in the right direction :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

The iQ50's are a decent step up from the 5SE's, it's just that most people aren't going to pay twice the price for the 50's at the moment! Having said that, I did have one customer who chose the iQ50's over the competition and iQ5SE's to partner a Cyrus pre/power......

I can't say I'd agree the 50's are a step up on a brief listen. More of a step to the side perhaps? I'd have given them 4 stars but then I have the IQ5SE's so I'm biased. One thing though - I hate that base on them. I'd rather risk them falling over TBH!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I suspect they aren't on the website as they have been replaced by the IQ50's and because KEF are apparently in the process of releasing a new website.

I bought the IQ5SE's the other day and wanted to register the warrenty on them but could find them in the list, I emailed them and they advised that they are releasing the new website and a few things are still outstanding.

Reviews of both products are in plentiful supply on this website and others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts