JVC DLA-X3 or Sony VPL-VW90ES

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Looking to take the plunge and upgrade to a new 3d projector and would love to know if anyone has had a chance to compare or demo both projectors? Currently have a Panny AE3000.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have an X7 and a VW90 here both of which have been ISF Calibrated. As with the models last year it is a personal thing as to which you prefer. I think the Sony is the better model ( as I did last year) as I like the crisp and detailed image it produces. One of my colleagues prefers the JVC as he likes the black levels.

Both are excellent and certainly peers with 2d material. With 3D it is a different matter though , the Sony outclasses the JVC and is far more pleasant to watch.

We have a PTAE4000 as well and you will notice a jump in performance from your 3000 to either of these new units . Every factor - brightness, colour, black level, motion and accuracy - will be improved as you would expect.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info Nick.

Very interesting comments, especially the 3d part, so the Sony trumps the JVC in this department. Is this just on the X3? after all it is £3k more, does the X7 fair better in 3d?

Probably best popping over and seeing them first hand. Do you have stock of both projectors?

A

Anonymous

From my expierence i much prefer the JVC models they have a better 2D picture and are also a bit brighter which helps with 3D.

Andy

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
andytucker:
From my expierence i much prefer the JVC models they have a better 2D picture and are also a bit brighter which helps with 3D.

Andy

Andy, have you seen the new JVCs? if so, how was the 3d?

A

Anonymous

can I chip in here if I may

we have the JVC X7 & Sony VW90ES on demonstration, for me both are very similar with 2d performance, both being excellent and not much to call between the two. Probably the JVC has better black levels.

The Sony is without doubt imho the better one in 3D with fast motion handling, much smoother as Nick says, but I do find it initially to be less bright as the JVC whilst in 3D mode but your eyes adjust to it after a few minutes and then its fine.

One thing though that I think is important, I think the JVC`s 3D`s glasses to more comfortable to wear especially if you already wear glasses for everyday use.

Both excellent machines though with the Sony edging it on price

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
iainl2005:

Thanks for the info Nick.

Very interesting comments, especially the 3d part, so the Sony trumps the JVC in this department. Is this just on the X3? after all it is £3k more, does the X7 fair better in 3d?

Probably best popping over and seeing them first hand. Do you have stock of both projectors?

We have the X7 and the VW90 on demonstration ready to go so you can easily compare the two. Crucially both have been ISF calibrated so there is no bias from the out of the box settings.

A

Anonymous

iainl2005:andytucker:

Andy

Andy, have you seen the new JVCs? if so, how was the 3d?

Hi there well first of all either way you choose you are not gonna be dissapointed both projectors are amazing. In my view i preferred the JVC in 2D maybe due to the black levels but both were excellent. In 3D my first impression was that the Sony was darker than the JVC but i only watched 2-3 mins of 3D material. If i was going to buy i would strongly suggest to go for the cheaper X3 as for the money i could not see much difference in picture quality between the X3 & X7 & Sony then use the spare money and put towards a top of the range screen maybe a Black Diamond 2?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts