Just discovered that ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
... can record from internet radio with the TuneIn Radio Pro app on my iPhone.

(No idea why I didn't spot it before! (I have been using the app for quite a while now.)

A short test (Radio 3 'HD' at 320K) of 5 minutes duration yields an 11 MB file.

Later I will do a 45 minute (CD length) recording to see how much room it takes up. I don't envisage keeping recordings permanently (nor can I import the recordings to iTunes) but this is going to be bl jolly useful.

It also allows timered recordings :)

I guess you all knew this already (sorry, slower learning curve than many regarding these toys). I love this app!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
... can record from internet radio with the TuneIn Radio Pro app on my iPhone.

(No idea why I didn't spot it before! (I have been using the app for quite a while now.)

A short test (Radio 3 'HD' at 320K) of 5 minutes duration yields an 11 MB file.

Later I will do a 45 minute (CD length) recording to see how much room it takes up.

My guess would be around 100MB...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
My guess would be around 100MB...

That would seem to follow. I don't know if the complexity of the content will effect the figure.

I expect so but I made a basic assumption that you'd be recording 45 minutes of R3HD.

Where do you tend to use this app, just out curiosity? I assume it works over wi-fi as well as 3G?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Where do you tend to use this app, just out curiosity? I assume it works over wi-fi as well as 3G?

I will use it at home (via AirPlay/wifi).

It will be very handy for 'time shifting' stuff that is on when I am busy elsewhere in the house or for when I am watching/listening to something else or when I am asleep (shiftwork).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:

I will use it at home (via AirPlay/wifi).

Is there any reason you wouldn't use the Mac for listening whilst at home? Or is it just for recording purposes?

It will be very handy for 'time shifting' stuff that is on when I am busy elsewhere in the house or for when I am watching/listening to something else or when I am asleep (shiftwork).

Keep the charger handy, I can imagine your battery usage will go up considerably if you're on wi-fi all the time.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Is there any reason you wouldn't use the Mac for listening whilst at home? Or is it just for recording purposes?

The iMac is in another room (although within range of AirPlay) so I tend to only use that for lossless albums (as I rather boringly described here). I just crank up iTunes on it and use the iPhone to control it remotely.

For everything else (except FM) I prefer to use the iPhone in one capacity or another. The TuneIn Radio Pro app has a far better interface for internet radio than using the Marantz' own built-in internet radio (and actually sounds better on the higher bitrate stuff).

The_Lhc said:
Keep the charger handy, I can imagine your battery usage will go up considerably if you're on wi-fi all the time.

I get about 2 days when it is being 'thrashed' and about 4 days otherwise. I work from home 90 percent of the time so the charger is never far away.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
What with wi-fi running? That's pretty good.

About twice as good as my old iPhone 3GS (and I didn't even have AirPlay on that.)

I have been much impressed with it myself.

Maybe it's because the Airport Extreme 802.11N base station is only about 6 feet away from it? I don't know the technicalities of whether it uses more power - the further away the wi-fi 'hub' is - or not.

Paul.

We have very different ideas about what 'thrashing' is :) If I have had a productive day, I have about 40% battery at the end of the day. If I have been unproductive, I tend to have about 20% left.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
What with wi-fi running? That's pretty good.

About twice as good as my old iPhone 3GS (and I didn't even have AirPlay on that.)

I have been much impressed with it myself.

Maybe it's because the Airport Extreme 802.11N base station is only about 6 feet away from it? I don't know the technicalities of whether it uses more power - the further away the wi-fi 'hub' is - or not.

I think that's the case, the harder it needs to work to maintain a connection the more power it'll use, even so I sit in the same room as my router and my battery wouldn't last two days. I guess with that app though your screen is off most of the time? That'll help a lot.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I guess with that app though your screen is off most of the time? That'll help a lot.

Yes. One of the biggest drains of phone battery is constantly fiddling with it! You can make considreable gains in battery life by turning the screen brightness down and any auto adjustment feature off.

The wi-fi effort to get a signal is less relevant than how hard it has to hunt for a mobile signal though. A good, strong signal will give you a better battery life - especially if that signal is edge or GPRS rather than 3G

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts