JICO Stylus buyer beware

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I purchased a Jico stylus to replace an Ortofon om10. Have to say it was an improvement and sounded great.

After playing around 10 records over a few weeks the sound became worse. Close inspection revealed the cantileaver had become loose and had rotated.

I emailed JICO and was told 14days had expired from puchase so tough luck on my part.

In the bin now and money down the drain so buyer beware.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They cannot do that by law, I'm pretty certain, even though no doubt a stylus is classed as a consumable. But depending on how much you paid and how much of a stink you want to raise it may be better just to put it down to experience and always buy genuine.

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Reason I purchased - the stylus was advertised as equal to the om30 stylus and had received good reviews. (was more expensive than genuine om10)

The sound was better than the om10 for the very short period that it lasted.

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
JICO are based in Japan.

They are well respected and make the well known SAS stylus.

I even asked if they would repair the stylus with discount and no chance.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the risk of buying from online overseas where you presumably aren't protected by our Sale of Goods Act, no more than if you bought a grey import.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I have to say that, if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

There are costs in producing quality items, diamonds etc, and these can't be bypassed.

Ortofon products are covered by a two year warranty from manufacturing defects.

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have orderd another stylus from JICO.

The sound quality of the stylus is so much better than the ortofon om10 for similar cost.

Hoping just bad luck with the first purchase so giving a second chance.

I will this time play many records within the 14 day period.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Burto said:
I have orderd another stylus from JICO.
What?! After they told you to go screw yourself when the first one failed within 14 days? You could probably have got a real Stylus 20 for the money you've now paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts