itunes question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am on a network (ethernet). the itunes and all the music, playlists are on a power mac (powerPC), and I want to play the music thats on this mac from my Windows xp computer (both are connected to the same network, i can very well see the shared files and folders in the mac in the xp machine).

I have shared the music folder in the mac (went to system preferences/ shared and did it)

Problem is, I cannot see any of the playlists in the XP. Is there a way I can do this? I really dont want to copy all the same music into the XP machine, just want to play when I want to.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
This might not be the best answer, but I think it should work. On the horrible PC thing, go into iTunes preferences and set it so that added music is not imported into iTunes. Then select Add to Library, again on the PC, and point it at the iTunes music folder on the Mac. You can now build playlists in iTunes on the PC from music files that are only stored on the Mac.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
This might not be the best answer, but I think it should work. On the horrible PC thing, go into iTunes preferences and set it so that added music is not imported into iTunes. Then select Add to Library, again on the PC, and point it at the iTunes music folder on the Mac. You can now build playlists in iTunes on the PC from music files that are only stored on the Mac.

Paul.

If you open iTunes on both machines, does the mac share not show up in the left hand sources column in iTunes on the XP machine? If you enable home share on both machines you can copy too and from the different iTunes. Assuming you can install a new enough version of iTunes that is.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Make sure Home Sharing is enabled for all instances of iTunes & as Paul states, you should have a header called "Shared" in the left column with another computer's name listed below it. If you also have an iPhone, iPad & or iPod, download Apple's "Remote" app that will list any instance of iTunes that have Home Sharing enabled. The Remote app will also control an AppleTV & iTunes Match.

A

Anonymous

Actually I was trying to access the itunes playlists in the mac NOT from itunes in XP. But from VLC player. I guess itunes ha to be installed first. I will try it thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

OK I installed itunes in the XP machine and voila! I can now see the songs in my mac in my XP!!

BUT. I can only see them under "SHARED" (Apple's Library) and the songs are all mixed together, in one list. If only I can organize them into playlists, I will be a hapy bunny...

(The "Library/Music" folder does not have anything showing in the XP machine, as yet)

A

Anonymous

Is there no way to Import the (existing) playlists from the remote machine (powermac, in my case)? I can see all the music in the mac in the XP computer, but there are no playlists or anything, just all the music in a list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts