It's official: the world has gone mad.

I had to look at this 3 times when I saw it yesterday, couldn't believe my eyes. Then I checked it wasn't an April fools....

A Ford Sierra Cosworth sold at auction for almost £600,000 (gulp). It's pure madness.

As you guys know I love cars and when I clocked this I had to check my mug of tea wasn't spiked.

I could understand if it was a rare Ferrari or a one-off Porsche, but this is a Dagenham dustbin. Where I grew up in S. London these Cossies were always stolen for fun.

podknocker

Imagine wrecking that, as you leave the auction site. This won't get used as a daily run around, if at all. If you don't want to risk any damage and keep it in a safe place, then what's the point in owning it? There are millionaires with hundreds of perfect Ferraris, underground in air conditioned bunkers and these things never get used. It's such a waste. Go out and enjoy it. I think £600k is absurd for this Sierra Cosworth. I suspect the owner will also be into £8000 fuses!

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I had to look at this 3 times when I saw it yesterday, couldn't believe my eyes. Then I checked it wasn't an April fools....

A Ford Sierra Cosworth sold at auction for almost £600,000 (gulp). It's pure madness.

Wow, wish I had kept the sapphire cossie I had in early 90s, but couldn’t afford uk insurance so she stayed in Germany.

podknocker

I remember getting a lift in one of the later Sapphire 4x4 Cosworths. It went up a hill quicker than I thought a car could. I'm sure this model, with the extra traction, would have been a match for something much more expensive and exotic. They were very quick, being fairly light and over 200bhp. I often wonder what happened to Cosworth. Be nice if they could return to the quicker Ford models again. I know the Fiesta is being discontinued and this leaves ST versions of the Focus and Puma.

Wow, wish I had kept the sapphire cossie I had in early 90s, but couldn’t afford uk insurance so she stayed in Germany.
Yeah, I bet.

On a programme called Bangers and Cash, they follow the day to day business of a car auction in Yorkshire.

A non-running Sierra Coosie that needed 30k spent on restoration sold at auction for 18k.

It seems if you have a fast Ford, regardless of condition, you are in the money.

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I remember getting a lift in one of the later Sapphire 4x4 Cosworths. It went up a hill quicker than I thought a car could. I'm sure this model, with the extra traction, would have been a match for something much more expensive and exotic. They were very quick, being fairly light and over 200bhp. I often wonder what happened to Cosworth. Be nice if they could return to the quicker Ford models again. I know the Fiesta is being discontinued and this leaves ST versions of the Focus and Puma.
Tbh I topped out at about 155 on the autobahn, and even cruising at a steady 140, some Porsche or Beamer would still flash you out the way….

Cosworth are engine tuners in the domestic market, look under the bonnet of many Cosworth-tuned engines and the name isn't mentioned. Look at a Merc 190 Cosworth and the engine will just say "Mercedes", and insured as a Mercedes not Cosworth.
I feel pretty sure if you state 190 Cosworth on the insurance form it will be treated as such ad it's hardly a bog standard 190

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I feel pretty sure if you state 190 Cosworth on the insurance form it will be treated as such ad it's hardly a bog standard 190
I had Saphire cossie, insured through a german insurance company, came out about £600 a year, got a quote to return it to the UK, £3900, third party only. So sold the Ford and got a Merc 190 2.5-16 Cosworth, Uk insurance, £600 a year….it was a few PS down on the Ford, but not many, and was much more instantaneous, as it was normally aspirated, instead of Fords desire for twin Webber’s…

think in early mid 90s, the differential was the crap Ford locks as opposed to the slightly better Merc locks, alarm and immobiliser?

Used to know someone who had a Merc Cossie. They came in two flavours, a 2.3 & 2.5 litre engines. On the V5 document it just said Mercedes 190 2.5. No mention of Cosworth, and as such the insurance group was of a basic 2.5 petrol engine.

It was definitely a Cosworth by the engine note and pulling power -- it was fast

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Used to know someone who had a Merc Cossie. They came in two flavours, a 2.3 & 2.5 litre engines. On the V5 document it just said Mercedes 190 2.5. No mention of Cosworth, and as such the insurance group was of a basic 2.5 petrol engine.

It was definitely a Cosworth by the engine note and pulling power -- it was fast
You didn’t state Cosworth or not Cosworth, it was the 190e 2.5-16, that was the difference between that and the standard version…

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

Imagine what he pays for his hi-fi fuses

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts