Issue with Cambridge Audio 651A -- Please help

I purchased a Cambridge Audio 651A with a pair of Dali Zensor 3 a few months back. Sound from the right speaker appears to be veiled and the sound stage appears to be on the left side. Also I feel sound come from the right speaker a bit later than I anticipate (when I expect the same sound from both speakers). I switched the speakers - it didn't solve the issue. I flipped the polarity (+ to -) of the right speaker and immediately the stereo image shifted to the center. But somehow I feel it leaves a hole at the mid lower end. I shifted between inputs (s2 to s4) - no improvement. Please let me know what may be the issue. May be an unrelated matter - if I wire my speakers to B terminals then sub-out doesn't give any output. Lastly should I expect any sonic difference if I make use of terminals A or terminal B? Any help will be highly appreciated RgdsBB

Bhaskar Bhattacharya said:
I purchased a Cambridge Audio 651A with a pair of Dali Zensor 3 a few months back. Sound from the right speaker appears to be veiled and the sound stage appears to be on the left side. Also I feel sound come from the right speaker a bit later than I anticipate (when I expect the same sound from both speakers). I switched the speakers - it didn't solve the issue. I flipped the polarity (+ to -) of the right speaker and immediately the stereo image shifted to the center. But somehow I feel it leaves a hole at the mid lower end. I shifted between inputs (s2 to s4) - no improvement. Please let me know what may be the issue. May be an unrelated matter - if I wire my speakers to B terminals then sub-out doesn't give any output. Lastly should I expect any sonic difference if I make use of terminals A or terminal B? Any help will be highly appreciated Rgds BB

Try experiementing with speaker position. If that doesn't yield an improvement, take it back to the dealer.

shadders

Hi,

With mine, a CA 650 Azur, there is a problem where the sound is reduced one channel. I have to rapidly switch between inputs and this usually corrects the issue. It seems to be the relay contacts.

Regards,

Shadders.

K

keeper of the quays

Looks like typical old fashioned hifi.sounds great when it works..needs to be fiddled with to get that great sound! Lol...i have to fiddle with the rca outputs of my dac magic and the same with my 640p phono amp..but it sounds so good for the money I forgive it..i drive to Southampton every other weekend and I usually do that journey when the Goodwood car show is on..and I always see a few of these beautiful old cars broken down on the A27 lol...bit like Cambridge audio? Lovely hifi..bit unreliable? I'm sure the newer stuff is more reliable! One of my customers has a new top of the range cambridge audio cdp and amp with monitor audio flashy speakers. He let me have a listen.and it sounded fab!

Yes I am from Kolkata.

I feel I have fixed the problem. But it's a bit weird, and hence I was not keen to provide update before observing for few days...lol.

I was inserting the cable in the connecter as was shown to me by the technician from where the system was purchased. Last night it occured to me that the cable was touching only one side of the conductor surface inside the binding post. I rewired by spreading the copper (the strands) as evenly on the surface of the binding post as possible. Immediately, I noticed two differences, the highes were much smother (the jarring feeling which I used to notices, and for which I was almost on the verge of discarding my panasonic BDP, were almost gone) and the LR balance was much better. I listened to the system almsot 2 hours non stops without any ear fatigue. Having said all these I need at least 3/4 days before I can say for sure that things have improved.

Looking at your combination I guess you have purchased from ProFx. Am I right?

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Partially from profx the speaker from there. Yamaha from a dealer. Your from SKS I suppose . I auditioned the Dali but liked zensor 1 more . what other speakers did u try.

My gear is from SKS. But I also have a Polk (PSW 111) sub which I brought from USA. I tried Polk and KEF but the amp was Denon. Zensor 3 is a bit rough but somehow the combo (651A + Zensor 3) gave the feeling of (for the lack of correct word) immediacy which appealed to me very much. I had a budget constraint too. I feel that the internal equilisations in DVD Players or BDPs are tuned towards movies - paunchy bass, shrill highs and a bit unnatural midrange. I miss the smooth sound of the cassett deck and amp combo which I used to have - agreed that the specs were dismal, but my ears used to find them more musical. Due to the budget constraint I haven't been able to purchase a good CD / network player and hence I have to bear with a bit of unnatural sound currently. BTW what kind of music do you like?

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
In my early days of listening it was old Hindi music from kishore Kumar ,lata and international pop from boyzone,backstreet boys ,MJ, enigma then moved to rock classics from Pink Floyd,Nirvana, Metallica during my graduation day . Now it mostly depends on the mood Western classical ,Rabindrasangeet . Didn't you try any gears from States manufacturer there like McIntosh amp, Canadian PMC or Proac. What music you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts