Is this an acceptable amount of platter wobble?

Gavvvvvin

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Howdy,

I recently purchased my first turntable, a Rega RP1. Now I admit to knowing absouletly nothing about turbtables, but the platter seems to be wobbling a concerning amount and I was wondering if it was enough to warrant returning it?

I assume the tonearm shouldnt be bouncing around like that, and didnt think that it would be some engineering feet for a manufacturer to get a platter to spin true? *unknw*

Please see attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ImDNTviPk

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally I'd take it back for an exchange and get Rega to check it before they send it - Rega customer service is excellent !

Speak to your dealer

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Infiniteloop said:
I think it's a wobbly record and a wobbly platter!

*sad*
Hard to tell as the camera is moving a little, but you can plainly see the record isn't true, and the full extent of the apparent wobble isn't due to the platter itself.

If you look at the bottom left edge of the spinning platter (where it visually impinges on the edge of the platform) there is an obvious up and down wobble. The issue is exascerbated by the wobbly record.

I wouldn't be happy with it and I would take it back.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
If you look at the bottom left edge of the spinning platter (where it visually impinges on the edge of the platform) there is an obvious up and down wobble. The issue is exascerbated by the wobbly record.

I wouldn't be happy with it and I would take it back.

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the platter, just that the issue wouldn't be quite so exaggerated if the record was removed and then filmed - this would actually help to show the real issue better. The warped record detracts from the real issue. The record doesn't need to be on the platter to show the platter wobble.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar issue with an RP6 that was replaced, in actual fact a couple of years ago when I took it back the dealer rang Rega while I was there and the Rega service guy said that there was a tolerance - remember the RP1 is mass produced so you are always going to get some wobble due to the engineering that has gone into the turntable.

Gavvvvvin

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. Ive taken some better videos of the wobble:

Subplatter wobble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8i3FaBoXJs&feature=youtu.be

Platter wobble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL9jR9_-MXg

Gavvvvvin

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The problem is I brought it off the net and by the time I've paid to ship it back I may as well have just brought a new platter. Do you guys think the subplatter is stuffed as well?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Gavvvvvin said:
The problem is I brought it off the net and by the time I've paid to ship it back I may as well have just brought a new platter. Do you guys think the subplatter is stuffed as well?

if you bought it off the net and it's faulty then they need to re-imburse any shipping costs and/or pay for it to have it shipped back to them.

TRENDING THREADS