Is there any truth in this?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi peeps,

I've heard a few times that a pre amp should be left on constantly, to get the best from it.

Is this the case?

A

Anonymous

I can see some logic if it was a valve amp, as thermal cucyling of the heater elements within the valves probably contributes a lot to the early failure of the valves. Much used to be said about CRT TVs, which lead to the "Standby" feature. Not so sure about transistor / PCB / chip based systems.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Personally i leave my transport, DAC and pre amp on all the time unless I'm going to be away on holiday or not using the system for a period of time. The transport is 'on' standby but the Naim DAC and the DNM 3C don't have this facility. The monoblocs are switched off when not in use but I do switch them on for about half an hour or so before 'properly' listening to the system.

I can see some logic in the argument that a constant operating temperature is better than a continual cycling process of warm/cold/warm/cold.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, boys.

I thought I might as well give it a go, so I've had the pre-amp and power amp on since yesterday afternoon. Seems that there is some truth to it, after all.

I've been listening to Damien Rice's 'O' all week. This morning, when I played it, certain changes jumped out straight away:

1: On 'The blowers daughter' (Trk 3), there was one bass note that was very bloated and overpowering, that was jarring to listen to. This morning, the note is tight. This tightening of bass goes right through the album.

2: On 'Cannonball' (Trk 4), A whole new guitar track was revealed. I count four, now.

3: On 'Cold Water' (Trk 8), there is now no background noise. It sounds beautiful, just the strumming of the guitar, the reverb on the piano and the vocals. The removal of the background noise seems to have added to the detail and the clarity. The section of strange, deep singing can now be easily decyphered, word for word, whereas some words were beyond me before.

A

Anonymous

don't think that you need to keep in on all the time .... I have found that if I switch my amp on approx 1/2 hr before using, it is 'warm' enough

have found that it does make a big difference when the amp is warm vs cold ....

there have been many threads in this regard and many disagree

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
don't think that you need to keep in on all the time .... I have found that if I switch my amp on approx 1/2 hr before using, it is 'warm' enough

have found that it does make a big difference when the amp is warm vs cold ....

there have been many threads in this regard and many disagree

Hi Dan,

I, up till yesterday, used to give the system a half hour to warm up, before play, and would notice the system sounding better over the course of a listening session (usually a couple of hours). However, the improvement that being on for 30ish hours now, has brought about has really surprised me.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
bretty:

Hi peeps,

I've heard a few times that a pre amp should be left on constantly, to get the best from it.

Is this the case?

It is in your case - it says so in exposure's instruction manual!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
wireman:bretty:
Hi peeps,

Is this the case?

It is in your case - it says so in exposure's instruction manual!

Seriously? I didn't get the manual with my kit. Nice.

Can I ask you where you found the manual? I've been doing some googling, but couldn't turn anything up. Thank you.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
bretty:Seriously? I didn't get the manual with my kit. Nice.

Can I ask you where you found the manual? I've been doing some googling, but couldn't turn anything up. Thank you.

Hi Bretty - yes, seriously. From my earliest exposure manual which relates specifically to your preamplifier (amongst others available at that time), it says:

"Audio electronics need time to stabilise to sound their best, and this is particulalry true of preamplifiers. Whilst our preamplifiers will perform quite well immediately after being switched on, their performance will improve to an even higher level after being in operation for a time. Typically, full performance conditions are reached within 24 hours. We therefore recommend leaving the preamplifier's power supply switched on continuously. There are no associated penalties with regard to reliability or longevity (indeed, electronic components generally have longer lives when powered up continuously), and this practice ensures optimum musical performance whenever you wish to enjoy music on your system."

Personally, I think exposure preamplifiers sound best once they've been left on for a minimum of 4 days, and then given a good thrashing! Hope that helps.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
wireman:bretty:Seriously? I didn't get the manual with my kit. Nice.

Hi Bretty - yes, seriously. From my earliest exposure manual which relates specifically to your preamplifier (amongst others available at that time), it says:

"Audio electronics need time to stabilise to sound their best, and this is particulalry true of preamplifiers. Whilst our preamplifiers will perform quite well immediately after being switched on, their performance will improve to an even higher level after being in operation for a time. Typically, full performance conditions are reached within 24 hours. We therefore recommend leaving the preamplifier's power supply switched on continuously. There are no associated penalties with regard to reliability or longevity (indeed, electronic components generally have longer lives when powered up continuously), and this practice ensures optimum musical performance whenever you wish to enjoy music on your system."

Personally, I think exposure preamplifiers sound best once they've been left on for a minimum of 4 days, and then given a good thrashing! Hope that helps.

4 days, eh? Great, that means the best is yet to come, for me!

Thanks for taking the time, really appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
bretty:4 days, eh? Great, that means the best is yet to come, for me!
Mine's been on solidly for 10 years, and tonight it's sounding as good as it ever did! Enjoy.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Hi peeps,

Is this the case?

Were you told this by your electricity supplier?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts