Is there any plan to test input lag for gaming in WHF reviews

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Team,

Given that gaming is now so popular and many people will use a PS3 for Blu-Ray as well as gaming, is there any plan to test input lag as part of the reviews? Its something that would be high on my list for any TV purchase.

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I seriously doubt they will. And even if they did, id seriously doubt it would be measured, it would simply be subjective

Im completely on your side though rocket, its pretty high on my list too

On a side note, most if not all plasmas tend to have far better lag times than LCDs (Really not sure why though)

A

Anonymous

I asked this a few months back and I think the general concensus was it wasn't important enough to review. In the end I'm plumped for a Samsung simply on the basis that Microsoft use them for their demo pods so they must be good. I can't find anything more concrete than that.

A

Anonymous

Iv asked the question many times and never had any kind of reply on it. Im starting to think WHF do not have the means to test input lag at all, probably not even subjectively.
[edited by mods - house rules]

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

I seriously doubt they will. And even if they did, id seriously doubt it would be measured, it would simply be subjective

Im completely on your side though rocket, its pretty high on my list too

On a side note, most if not all plasmas tend to have far better lag times than LCDs (Really not sure why though)

I believe it is mainly because plasma TVs doesn't need to apply interpolation to be fast eneogh for games.
Applying 100 or 200 Hz on a LCD TV will increase the speed but will at the same time introduce some serious lag.

You can easily introduce lag on plasma screens if you turn on the IFC (or whatever the interpolation is called on the various TVs). But as said, the response rate of plasma screens are more than fast enough to manage without this feature.

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation. Second warning.

A

Anonymous

[EDITED BY MODS - TAKE A THREE-DAY BAN TO COOL OFF, PLEASE]

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:Iv asked the question many times and never had any kind of reply on it. Im starting to think WHF do not have the means to test input lag at all, probably not even subjectively.

There's a fair bit of functionality to TVs these days, and while we like to test on-board tuners, DVD upscaling, Blu-ray picture quality, on-line features, sound and so on, it's fair to say console performance gets slightly less weighting. It's always taken into account, though: here and here, for instance.

Don't worry about our ability to test subjectively. We've got TVs and we've got games consoles, and for a subjective test I reckon that's all you need.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor: Given that gaming is now so popular and many people will use a PS3 for Blu-Ray as well as gaming, is there any plan to test input lag as part of the reviews? Its something that would be high on my list for any TV purchase.

I totally agree. It's the one bit of info that I'd love to see added to the reviews. I never used to think it was that big a deal until I tried my brother-in-law's LCD. I thought this sort of thing just affected hard-core gaming geeks, but games are hopeless on his set.

I appreciate that the mag peeps know far more than us about what the sets are used for, but surely gaming performance is as important as something like online functionality? I'd have thought that there's more gamers out there than folk who are using web widgets on their TV? Sad to say, but I probably spend more time gaming on my set than watching movies.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Simon Lucas:

Don't worry about our ability to test subjectively. We've got TVs and we've got games consoles, and for a subjective test I reckon that's all you need.

Im sorry Simon but id have to disagree. I dont see how you could accurately tell the difference between 20ms and 30ms lag subjectively (Easily the difference betwen winning and losing in an online game)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:I dont see how you could accurately tell the difference between 20ms and 30ms lag subjectively (Easily the difference betwen winning and losing in an online game)

I think you may just have answered your own question...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

aliEnRIK:I dont see how you could accurately tell the difference between 20ms and 30ms lag subjectively (Easily the difference betwen winning and losing in an online game)

I think you may just have answered your own question...

Then it would be interesting if in future when reviewing tvs you give them all a subjective LAG rating (ie, we believe this tv has approx 35ms of lag)

Sooner or later ill find an actually measurement to compare one of them to

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Or we could just highlight those models we find suffer from excessive lag, and thus might not be suitable for those who like to sit in the dark playing games.

Oh, hang on - as Simon pointed out above, we do that already...

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
guys just get the games out, get some beers and test those sets for lags etc for a few days straight!!! And your be getting paid for it, dream job in my eyes
emotion-4.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

...Or we could just highlihght those models we find suffer from excessive lag, and thus might not be suitable for those who like to sit in the dark playing games.

Oh, hang on - as Simon pointed out above, we do that already...

The difference between losing or it being so bad you dont even want to play online...............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts