Is there any hope for non Cyrus owners

After reading the November edition of WHF? S&V it seems Cyrus have the monopoly on the sub-ten grand sector of the CD market. Apart from synergy and maybe aesthetics, under what circumstances would you NOT buy the latest Cyrus's?

Where does this leave the £600 price bracket, Exposure 2010s, Arcam or even Primare?

A

Anonymous

Maybe if you want your expensive hifi to look like expensive hifi, rather than a shoe box.

Also, WHFS&V's view is only that, a view. You might very well prefer the alternatives.ÿ

Trusting reviews, buying blind 5-star systems is a recipe for hifi-hell, not hifi-nirvana.ÿ

Messiah

At the moment I think you have a valid point. With the glorious reviews it is getting why would you buy another player??

(to be fair though I am a Cyrus owner so am quite glad of the glowing reviews and will be getting my player upgraded!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the thread though. All that thinking about more LPs reminded me to snag that last '1 left in stock' copy of Tres Hombres by ZZ Top (Rhino records 2007 re-issue) from Amazon.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
From my experience, the number of stars a product has received has nothing to do with my decisions. In fact, I've noticed that I actually tend to prefer products that has less than stellar reviews. For your enjoyment only your ears can and should make that decision.ÿ

batonwielder:From my experience, the number of stars a product has received has nothing to do with my decisions. In fact, I've noticed that I actually tend to prefer products that has less than stellar reviews. For your enjoyment only your ears can and should make that decision.

Absolutely. However, the reviews are such that even a non-believer needs to take stock of the cyrus and ask yourself one question: If it does live up to the hype, is it worth holding back a few months and renew everything.

I haven't personally heard it, and that's the way it'll stay for while.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
batonwielder:From my experience, the number of stars a product has received has nothing to do with my decisions. In fact, I've noticed that I actually tend to prefer products that has less than stellar reviews. For your enjoyment only your ears can and should make that decision.

Absolutely. However, the reviews are such that even a non-believer needs to take stock of the cyrus and ask yourself one question: If it does live up to the hype, is it worth holding back a few months and renew everything.

I agreed with you, but that's exactly what the reviews are. It's basically to give us a starting point. If I were in the market for a CDP, in this vast sea of electronics, I would probably start with the most acclaimed ones. Well, that's what I did, anyways.

Right now I'm scratching my upgrade itch so bad it's starting to bleed...ÿ

batonwielder:plastic penguin:

I agreed with you, but that's exactly what the reviews are. It's basically to give us a starting point. If I were in the market for a CDP, in this vast sea of electronics, I would probably start with the most acclaimed ones. Well, that's what I did, anyways.

Right now I'm scratching my upgrade itch so bad it's starting to bleed...

I've had the upgrade bug for amp for months now. Due to me starting a new job and the credit crunch hitting my new job I'm just delaying it slightly.

I have Cd73T but my first choice was the Exposure 2010s and it was only lack of good distribution that prevented me from buying one. No, I totally agree with you about the review being the springboard to actually listening and final decision on whether it is that good.

I have bought WHFI on and off for about 30 years and have never seen such a glowing review
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I suppose it just depends how much your willing to spend. I think leema and plinius are better than cyrus - just my opinion like. One thing about cyrus is ithink they are the best value for money players.

Also if i had the money, I wouldn't think to meself what player should i get for under 10k, cyrus or DCS puccini (£9500)- i would go straight for the DCS.

stm_70:

I suppose it just depends how much your willing to spend. I think leema and plinius are better than cyrus - just my opinion like. One thing about cyrus is ithink they are the best value for money players.

Also if i had the money, I wouldn't think to meself what player should i get for under 10k, cyrus or DCS puccini (£9500)- i would go straight for the DCS.

That's spot on. The trouble is very few people have bottomless buckets, so for me, for example, the Cyrus becomes a tempting prospect, pound for pound-wise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts