is the Sony BDP-S370 3D ready?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there can anyone confirm if the Sony BDP-S370 is 3D ready or do i have to buy the S470 to make sure its 3D ready?

Also can anyone confirm the main difference between the 2?

A

Anonymous

I don't believe it is but the 470 is.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/blu-ray-disc-player

A

Anonymous

I think i read it would be 3d ready by a firmware update to follow later on,could be wrong tho.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
are you really bothered? i can't see me buying into 3d tv anytime soon due to the number of differing technologies currently inuse ect so guess depends on what you think the life span of the player will be - at £150 its cheap enough to replace in a couple of years or swap for a standard dvd player somewehre else in the house

A

Anonymous

Yes i am bothered as i already have a 3D amp & will be getting a 3D TV too when i get chance to demo them all so yes i need my blu-ray player to be 3D ready!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
in that case, yes def look elsewhere

i just don't like the fact that there is so many different variations on 3d technology at the min and what you will actually get for your extra outlay at this time in terms of available contact and how quickly more will become available

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
neepz:I think i read it would be 3d ready by a firmware update to follow later on,could be wrong tho.

Yap, I read about it too. But it seems now that it is not going to be 3D ready afterall.

A

Anonymous

What do you mean so many variations? the 3D is identical its just the glasses you wear which differ.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Common 3D display technology for projecting stereoscopic image pairs to the viewer include

Anaglyphic 3D (with passive red-cyan glasses) - old tech not real 3d

Polarization 3D (with passive polarized glasses) - these are the sets sky tv have been using in pubs - cheap specs - also seems to be the sets picked for studios/editing etc. Also can't see your local cinema wanting to shell out for expensive glasses for the average punter - so if thats the tech the films are going to be released on in the cinema why not the home

Alternate-frame sequencing (with active shutter glasses/headgear) - seems for some reasons to have become the currently adopted retail venture for the average consumer

Autostereoscopic displays (without glasses/headgear)

i also have quite a few ppl over often so hardly want to be buying multiple sets of glasses - also as said different tech uses different specs although the turning the glasses upside story made me laugh the other day - guess thats deliberate so if you buy their tv can only buy their glasses

"The good news is that Samsung R&D boss Simon Lee stated that the different manufacturers will be coming together to agree a set standard, hopefully in 2011. Not so good if you've already forked out, though." you thought they would have agreed upfront!

so do we wait and see if sony goes panasonics way or samsungs - could help make up your mind

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thats also taking into account whether programes are actually going to filmed in proper 3d or whether they are going to cheat with the effects later - new clash of titans film springs to mind - fake 3d

all i'm saying is i'm not going to be an early adopter of the displays - makes sense to buy the 3d ready amps and poss even the 3d ready blu ray players but going to wait on the screens

A

Anonymous

Could not agree more. 3d i nothing more than a gimmick. A good blu ray player and full hd tv should give you a very 3d picture anyway, Who wants things flying out of the tv at them? 3d was tried in the 70's and 80's and fell flat. Will do again.

A

Anonymous

Don't be so negative - the latest 3D is so much better than anything in the past and we can view it in our own homes. It's not expected that you will watch 3D all the time but it is fun and an added dimension to be enjoyed occasionally. Your eyesight needs to be okay with or without prescription glasses. Also make sure there are no flourescent lights are on in the room whilst viewing.

manicm

andytucker:

Hi there can anyone confirm if the Sony BDP-S370 is 3D ready or do i have to buy the S470 to make sure its 3D ready?

Also can anyone confirm the main difference between the 2?

That is correct. The 370 is not 3D ready and never will be, whether by firmware or otherwise. The 470 is 3D ready.

As far as I know the 3D capability is the only difference between the two.

I personally wouldn't like to be an early adopter of a new technology (like HD DVD). I'll wait for 2-3 years to 3D technology to mature and stabilise. The manufacturers haven't reached a proper consensus as yet. For example, did you know that you can use Samsung 3D glasses to view Panasonic TVs & vice versa upside down? The manufacturers have admitted that there needs to be a better communication between themselves.

I'm expecting the next generation of TVs to come with a common technology, so that you can even buy cheaper 3rd party 3D glasses for much cheaper prices. Until, of course, all this is replaced by glasses-free 3D TVs like the Toshiba one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts