is the big apple to big?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
is it just me or does anyone else thing ipod has to much of the uk mp3 player tied up?

it seems that thay won the market with the itunes buy/download side of things. but i just dont think the stuff is that great realy

i imported a microsoft zune 120gb for around 2/3 of the price of a us ipod 120 video and it can download music directly through a wifi conection (handy when you are on holiday or away from your pc) its got a bigger screen, the battery lasts longer but we cant have it in the uk because of download rights in the uk! seems apple have it all tied up

it also seems that ipod has a smaller chunk of the pie in other countrys.

idc

Hi baz_r. There was a previous but limited discussion about the Zune and I for one would be interested in it and your comparison with the ipod. How do you listen to music with the Zune, through a dock or headphones and which one do you use?

Ipod does have a huge chunk of the market, but they were first with a brilliant design.

A

Anonymous

i use a 3rd gen 120Gb zune in black with both ear phones and a genuine 3rd gen or v2 zune dock conected though a supra biline-mp cable to my amp. with the v1 magnatic remote

i do like the fact that the dock has component video out
emotion-1.gif
and it ajust its volume to each and remembers its setting o you just grab it whack in your earphones and plug in knowing it will not blast your brains out.

idc

Had a look on the internet at the products you mention, the Supra cable looks very solid and good quality. What amp, speakers do you use and how would you describe the sound?

matthewpiano

Apple have such a big chunk of the market because they were very fast to launch a brilliantly conceived hardware/software package and marketed it incredibly well.

I don't see any problem with Apple's position. They deserve to be where they are because they've pushed all the right buttons to get there.

idc

I would like a review of the Zune, or better still a group test of MP3 players including Zune and ipod. I have searched the site and no joy, any plans What hifi?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

iTouch can access iTunes Store via WiFi.

And it's not an "MP3 player" - by default most people will be playing AAC, and it is capable of many more file formats too.

Touching an iTouch is a pleasure.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:

Looking at those grubby fingersmears is not quite as pleasurable however.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:

iTouch can access iTunes Store via WiFi.

And it's not an "MP3 player" - by default most people will be playing AAC, and it is capable of many more file formats too.

Sorry to be pedantic but it's not called an iTouch. It's an iPod touch.

idc

Eddie Pound:

True, I was using as a default collective noun for that type of player. Ipod has entered the language as a generic term in the same way as Hoover has become synonymous with vacuum cleaner. This part of the forum is titled MP3/MP4, I abbreviated for convenience.

So yah boo sucks to you matey Eddie Pound.............................!

John Duncan

Octopo:Eddie Pound:

Looking at those grubby fingersmears is not quite as pleasurable however.

I keep the supplied microfibre cloth with me at all times. But that's another story.

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
No - the Apple IPOD has deserved its position through many years of hard graft. When the IPOD was first launched it was only 5GB, MAC only with no accessories. Even iTunes then wasn't the default software interface for the PC.

The first digital player that I saw was a colleague's Diamond Rio which boasted around 16MB of music capacity. It was amazing piece of technology at the time. I bought two LG models, though at the time were considered to be small but were unwieldy to use.

What Apple did was to make the user interface easy and more importantly put the music aspect first.

There are better models, the Creative Zen for instance but I haven't seen a model this is so intuitive to use and daresay sexy as the Apple IPOD. People mention that the Apple iTune MusicStore has a stranglehold on the market but in reality on average most IPOD owners have bought an average of six to seven tracks. I still think 79p per track is outrageous!!! Most owners of MP3 players either rip CD's or obtain music through illegal means which I'm no advocating!

I agree with the earlier comment is that the IPOD is ubiquitious, that owing an IPOD can mean MP3 players in general.

TRENDING THREADS