Is my V+ box broken?

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
A couple of months ago, I had my V+ box replaced because it had started working really slowly. I was warned when I first got it that there could be small delays between key presses and the box actually responding, but this was ridiculous. However, my new box seems even worse. I just wanted to check if this was normal before getting them to replace it again.

Basically, it can take anything up to 25 seconds for the box to respond to a key press. I know the signal is getting to the box ok (and the batteries aren't dead), because a light on the box flashes as soon as I press the key - the box just takes a long time to do anything. This is particularly annoying when you are fast forwarding through adverts, you press play, and by the time the box responds, you're nearly at the end of the programme.

Also, the box has to be reset at least once a day because it freezes completely. Lately however, it has taken to rebooting for no reason every few days.

It also sometimes fails to record programmes, or splits a recording into two.

Surely this can't be normal, can it?

A

Anonymous

This doesn't sound normal. My V+ box might respond very slightly slower than other AV devices, but the difference is barely noticeable. I certainly don't have any difficulty with the operations you are describing. I have had the V+ box since last November, and I remember thinking that the response times were better than the standard Virgin box it replaced.

The only problem I have encountered is that it can be a bit temperamental if I try to use it immediately after the boot cycle has been completed (I normally turn the power off when it is not in use). Waiting a minute or so before operating the remote avoids any problems.

I have had one instance of a (long) recording being split into two, but as there was no loss I didn't mind too much.

It looks as though you might need to talk to Virgin again.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks ianbar, that's kind of what I thought.

Will give them a call this evening. Not happy that I'll lose all my recorded programmes again (the ones that did record, I mean!!)

A

Anonymous

I have had mine replaced about 8 times since they first brought the V+ box out. Everytime I lose my recordings and get a tiny token amount off my bill but I am now at the point where I am pulling the plug out and restarting it 3-4 times a night.

The online light starts flashing and then the picture starts to pixelate and freeze and then I lose everything and have to start again. It is infuriating, I have been through their complaints procedure several times and nothing is ever resolved. It is a great product, if only it worked like it is meant to!!

As I live in a block of flats I can't get Sky installed and so if I want the sports and movies then I just have to lump it. Real shame and costs me a fortune and is a nightly stress I could do without.

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar problem to rob_981 with my V+ box - engineer came round, I told him what was wrong, he smiled, said I'll be gone in a minute, accessed the set up menus, changed a code and it has worked perfectly ever since. Apparently the code relates to the area you're in - mine was set up for Bradford area and should have been Middlesbrough. Not had an issue with it since. (This was last spring)

A

Anonymous

I definately think you must have an error - my box is slow sometimes and by slow I mean it takes 2-3 seconds to proces my press on the remote, 25 seconds is outrageous!. Hopefully belker has pinpointed your issue for you and you will get it sorted quickly

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I hope so. I hope that is the problem. I'll give them a ring when I get home and see if they can tell me how to change it over the phone.

Thanks belker.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
ianbar:
This doesn't sound normal. My V+ box might respond very slightly slower than other AV devices, but the difference is barely noticeable. I certainly don't have any difficulty with the operations you are describing. I have had the V+ box since last November, and I remember thinking that the response times were better than the standard Virgin box it replaced.

The only problem I have encountered is that it can be a bit temperamental if I try to use it immediately after the boot cycle has been completed (I normally turn the power off when it is not in use). Waiting a minute or so before operating the remote avoids any problems.

I have had one instance of a (long) recording being split into two, but as there was no loss I didn't mind too much.

It looks as though you might need to talk to Virgin again.

I never turn mine off as it needs to be on for any software updates (as far as i know). I do put it on standby tho at night

A

Anonymous

northantsbloke34: I used to think the same as you. But I seem to recall reading (or being told) that it was OK to turn the power off (unless of course a recording is scheduled). As I understand that standby doesn't actually reduce the power consumption very much I thought I'd give it a go. It seems to work OK and the software updates when the box powers up. Occasionally this delays the start a bit, but it is not really a problem - at least for me - and I can congratulate myself on doing my bit for the planet.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Well the woman on the end of the phone tried to tell me that this was normal and she wasn't going to book an engineer, but when I said that a 25 second wait for one button press was not normal, she relented, and an engineer is coming out on Saturday, but I will be charged if there's not a problem.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Quick update, and information for anyone else with similar problems to me - after two visits by the VM engineer today, and a new V+ box, it turned out it wasn't the box at all, but the Virginmedia card. Apparently they're told to use the same card if replacing the box, so that's what he did. But the card was corrupting the box.

So anyone else with problems that new boxes don't seem to fix, try suggesting this to the engineer. The guy who came to mine didn't actually think of it at first - it was only when a colleague phoned him and suggested he try it that he found out what the problem was. So it's clearly not one of the possible solutions that they think of.

Anyway, good service by Virginmedia to come back again the same day. Now I can watch tv when I want to!

A

Anonymous

I've also had/have this problem, and from what I understand it happens when box is calling home in the background for updates. The freezing and need to reboot either by you or on it's own is all related to on demand services usually happens in the early hours of the morning as they add and remove shows.

Hope this helps.ÿ

ÿ

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I know it updates and reboots during the evening sometimes, but in my case, it was rebooting even during the day. The other day, I pressed fast forward to skip through the ads on something I'd recorded (this was in the early evening), and it rebooted.

It definitely seems to be fixed now though (touch wood), but cheers anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts