Is it worth the upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

So I've got myself a Denon AVR-1906 and a Playstation 3 plugged in to a Toshiba XF355D and some Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's

I'm loving the Blu-ray and watching films but can't help but notice the reviews now of stand-alone blu ray drives. Then on looking at these, would be silly not to get an upgrade amp so it can decode all the latest audio....

My budget stretches to the Sony BDP-S550 and STRDA2400ES group test winners from your last magazine.

So my question, is the upgrade worth it?

I can't really afford a speaker upgrade and my TV will have to stay... so with this in mind will I benefit enough from the upgrade of the amp and blu-ray?

I guess the upgrade would benefit sound more than picture, so this is why I wonder if me not being able to afford the speaker upgrade I'd notice as much?

I love the look of the B&W 685 cinema package and am sure it would do the new upgrade more justice. I'm not sure how the older wharfdales compare now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Andy

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

I guess the Sony amp has HDMI connectivity?

If yes and it has Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD etc then the sonic difference will be very noticeable.

I would stick with the PS3 for now and see what a difference the amp makes before deciding whether you also need a speaker upgrade.

Hope this is of use.

A

Anonymous

I have the same Denon and wharfedale set up as you,I recentley purchased a Pioneer BDP 51.

The HD audio via analogue outputs is amazing!! I couldn't belive the improvment on regular Dolby 5.1,I'ts a much bigger leap than the difference in DVD picture quality.

Unfortunately the Pioneer dosen't decode DTS Master audio although i belive that is set to change with the next firmware patch..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts