Is it possible to create two versions of a CD but rip only once?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to create a library and backup of my CDs to computer.

I would like to retain the best possible quality when I rip the CD to my computer network.
Is it possible to create a lower resolution version at the same time that can then be used for iPods?

Thanks
Mark

A

Anonymous

You don't need to create two versions if you use itunes. According to itunes help: Managing space on an iPod shuffle or Motorola phone featuring iTunes

"Connect the device to your computer.

step_2.gif

When the device appears in the iTunes window,
select it, click Settings, and then do one or more of the following:

þ To maximize the number of songs that fit on the
device, select "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps AAC."

þ To control how much space is reserved for music,
drag the slider to the left or right. This won't affect files already stored on
the device."

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
if you're not using itunes, something like Ripstation Micro DS will do the job. it can rip to apple lossless or flac at the same time as ripping to mp3.

John Duncan

Tarquinh:You don't need to create two versions if you use itunes. According to itunes help: Managing space on an iPod shuffle or Motorola phone featuring iTunes

"Connect the device to your computer.

step_2.gif

When the device appears in the iTunes window,
select it, click Settings, and then do one or more of the following:

þ To maximize the number of songs that fit on the
device, select "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps AAC."

þ To control how much space is reserved for music,
drag the slider to the left or right. This won't affect files already stored on
the device."

Correct, but that sadly only works for the Shuffle. Still waiting for Apple to make that work for all iPods, which would be a major plus for me. In the meantime, somebody did some Applescripts to do it (though guess it'll be reeeaaallll slow), they're referred to somewhere on here.

Otherwise it is all possible, though there are different ways to do it - many threads on the subject here depending on how you want to run it, searching for 'apple lossless' or 'itunes library' would be a good place to start.

A

Anonymous

Using something like WMP or even Creative's free software you can rip in lossless and then let the software downsample to 192kbps when synching to a device. Creative's software even keeps a lower quality copy for you.

I realise this isnt exactly what you asked for but gives you what you need, I think.
With WMP you can even get it to remeber what bitrate to downsample to for each device.
Though for me 192 is a bit meagre and I dont want to archive my files as WMA lossless either!

Someone must make some software which does the same thing, with as good and interface but allows FLAC, etc for archiving.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:
Octopo:I see a pattern developing...

Cheers

Problem, none.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts