Is Focal Alpha 50 suitable for listening only?

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my listening kit from headphones to speakers. I am using the ifi Micro idsd with sennheiser 598's for the moment. I dont have the room to place e seperate amplifier and bookshelf speakers so I am going to active speakers. The focals alpha 50 seems great for the money. But are they good for listeting only or are they meant to be used in the studio?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
These are quality products, more refined than many at the price.

The Alpha 65 is the pick of the range if you have the space and your budget can stretch, go for these. I have not spent much time with either but my pro-audio 'contacts' think they are underated as none of the models are particularly big sellers.

There are plenty of options at the price, hear what you can and see if they work for you. They are different to regular hi-fi speakers at this kind of price level, see if they suit you.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunatey I dont have the space nor the money for the 65's. I know Focal is a legit drand so I assume the Alphas would be too. What do you mean by different? Sound wise? My concern is in their built purpose. Are they meant to be used only as proffesional speakers in studios or they could be used for home entertainment too?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate to use them for listening, but as you can see from my signature, I'm something of a fan of using such monitors for listening to music.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
Unfortunatey I dont have the space nor the money for the 65's. I know Focal is a legit drand so I assume the Alphas would be too. What do you mean by different? Sound wise? My concern is in their built purpose. Are they meant to be used only as proffesional speakers in studios or they could be used for home entertainment too?

In the uk the difference in price is small, about £50 pr, hence the recommendation. If you are tight fpr space I am sure the Alpha 50 will be fine.

They are different in that they, studio monitors, tend to lack the usual character of most budget 'hi-fi' speakers which tend to follow 'current trends'. Some tend to find this 'honesty' refreshing others might describe it as 'clinical' which is why you need to try for yourself.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Now I understand what you mean by different. I am currently using headphones (senn' 598) and I think that they are somewhat ''clinical'' and detailed. I dont mind that, I even like the neutral sound of it. What I dont like is speakers without musicality and life.

My other option is to go for headphones again, something like hifiman 400i.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
Now I understand what you mean by different. I am currently using headphones (senn' 598) and I think that they are somewhat ''clinical'' and detailed. I dont mind that, I even like the neutral sound of it. What I dont like is speakers without musicality and life.

My other option is to go for headphones again, something like hifiman 400i.

That we are still talking about budget speakers here.

The designer needs to make compromises and what you get will depend on this. In the broadest terms, studio type speakers are designed to go louder and stay under control better at higher levels, they tend to be more 'forthright' and usually have great presence and punch.

Some hi-fi users coming to them for the first time complain about a lack of 'warmth' and sometimes consider them to be 'forward' or aggressive, some adjust to the different presentation and find it hard to go hack, others never 'get it'.

Personally I love this kind of performance, there are a few models that are just designed to sound as loud as possible for the price, I find these unacceptable but the better, more refined models (like the Focals) are absolutely fine. In fact I find it very hard to listen to budget hi-fi speakers which I find to be soft, bloated and lacking in dynamics and clarity. YMMV.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I see, so the focals are a good deal for the money. One last question,

The focals are at the same price point as the hifiman 400i. I am thinking that I would be getting better sound quality with the headphones but missing out the thrill and feeling that a speaker can offer.

Do you agree according to your experience?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
I see, so the focals are a good deal for the money. One last question,

The focals are at the same price point as the hifiman 400i. I am thinking that I would be getting better sound quality with the headphones but missing out the thrill and feeling that a speaker can offer.

Do you agree according to your experience?

I am not a serious headphone user I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS