Is buying a second hand Amplifier OK?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of buying the Cambridge Audio 640A Amplifier second hand. (Around 2 years old).

Will there be any difference in sound quality and performance compared to a new one?

I'm able to get it for around £120.

Let me know what you guys think!!!!!!!!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

A

Anonymous

Generally if it looks in good condition, it's fair to say it's been looked after. I think that is a good price, there should be no difference in sound quality or performance. I have bought 2 amps second hand and didn't encounter any problems when I bought them. So in short, go for it providing you have seen photos of the amp and if it's from ebay only purchase from someone who has an excellent rating.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid:And if at all possible collect it in person so as to take the 'smashed box in transit ' out of the equation.

Seconded.

I bought a Marantz PM6002 amp recently off eBay but made sure it was collection in person. Saved any "in transit" problems plus I got to see it before completion. As it turned out I was buying off a real nice guy who was a joy to deal with.

Whenever I've looked at something off eBay I always try and buy off someone local if possible. Anyone short of the 99/100% rating needs to be treated with caution. If under that mark check out the negative comments to see reasons why a low rating.

Having said that I've also bought speakers and a tuner off reputable companies and they have arrived through the post/couriers very well packed and in perfect condition.

A

Anonymous

There's not much more to add. Try to audition the amp, with some music you know, preferably with your CD player [this might prove impracical]. Make sure you play with all the features, and test its sound at a variety of volume levels, and tone settings etc...

You should be able to tell if the guy you're dealing with is genuine. Anyone who goes out of their way to explain stuff in a fantastically nerdy level of detail [like the nice bloke who went into obscene levels of detail re: the modifications he'd undertaken on my Rega planar 2] is generally a safe bet. Pry, ask questions, and if at the end of the day you don't like it: its fine to walk away [unless its ebay]...

SteveR750

I sold all of my previos system on ebay, but since I keep all of the original packaging then shipping it is not an issue other than lugging 26Kgs of speakers to the post office...The buyer of my Linn bought the packaging and had it sent to me so you can mitigate the broken in transit risk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts