ipod versus squeezebox

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wish to digitize my cd collection but am unsure of which wy to go. I initially considered ripping all into apple lossless and using a 160gb classic via an onkyo dock connected to my current set up, but now I might consider the squeezbox route.
I would like to know if there would be a difference in sound quality between the two and also if the squeezebox can be connected to a NAS so that the pc does not have to be on all the time.
Any help would be appreciated.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Strodo:I wish to digitize my cd collection but am unsure of which wy to go. I initially considered ripping all into apple lossless and using a 160gb classic via an onkyo dock connected to my current set up, but now I might consider the squeezbox route.
I would like to know if there would be a difference in sound quality between the two and also if the squeezebox can be connected to a NAS so that the pc does not have to be on all the time.
Any help would be appreciated.

I would say the SB is higher quality than iPod out of the box, and can be cheaply upgraded with a low price DAC

It CAN use a NAS (I am doing precisely that), however the choice of NAS devices with full support of Squeezecenter (which you need for the Duet), is low. I had to do alot of forum searching, using 3rd party software and faffing in Linux to get it working...

And of course hard drives dont cost much, so you can rip to your hearts content.

The iPod is a nice device, but its a portable device 1st, a piece of hifi 2nd, and currently only the Wadia dock thing allows DAC upgrading.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:Frog - i am thinking of using nas for mine but not started messing yet - can you recommend a drive and give me some pointers to save me spending hours looking for the software etc -

I can't really recommend as the one I use is probably not really good enough. It works quite well, but I get the occaisional problem.
I have a QNAP TS101, but I think the QNAP TS109 or 209 would be pretty good. The official support is being worked on as we speak... Go look in the QNAP and Slimdevices forums for better advice though...

(Although I did find a really interesting one on ripcaster.co.uk (which appears to be down for the moment, and I cant remember the name... However it was more an ultra quiet low spec computer than a NAS drive, but it had Squeezecenter preinstalled)

!just realised it was a TranquilPC.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:There was a review of four NAS Servers in this month's issue, but I don't think the question of whether they support SqueezeServer was answered - anybody from the mag clarify?

The important disctinction is Squeezecenter 7 rather than the application it replaces, Slimserver 6
(They simply changed the name to fit in with branding)

The Duet will not work with the older slimserver software. Its a pity as many NAS drives had slimserver either pre-installed or a simple install routine.
I think Logitech have been a bit silly with this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts