Ipod NANO verses CLASSIC sound quality question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having owned a 4th gen` Ipod NANO(8 gig) for around 6 months and really like the convenience of using it the car, I occasionally listen to it through the HIFI , connected via a QED interconnect with Apples own dock , I use it along side a NAD bbe545 cd player & I have no intention at the moment to go down the DAC route , even though I have a Meridian 203DAC as well (some thing i will be looking at later).

I know some people would say dump the Ipod and stick to CD , but the quality is pretty good through my trusty 30 year old Meridian Pre/power amps , plus I like the convenience of not having to change cd`s when we have company plus sticking it in the car on long journeys.

I am more than happy with the sound quality of the NANO for what it is (not quite as good as the NAD cd player) All my music is down loaded legally from I-Tunes (generally replacing songs i used to own on vinyl) my question is "how does the sound quality of the NANO compare to the IPOD classic" as the NANO fills up too quickly and am for ever having to delete older stuff to accomodate new material (even though I back up all my down loaded music)

I know that the NANO & Classic Ipods use a different type of way of saving music and wondered if the 2 units sound completely different???? my options would be to buy a 16gig nano or a Classic but not sure which one yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jotaboy

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Jotaboy

Idf my memory serves me well I think the team at WHF made a comment around the Nano using a flash memory and the Classic using a conventional hard drive, with the conclusion from the team that the Classic had a "better" all round sound, both of course are 5* products.

Don't know if there are other differences internally with DAC and amplification etc however my wife has a 120GB Classic, daughter has an 8 GB gen 4 (Ithink) Nano and we have others no longer used, I believe I can hear improved sound quality from the Classic compared to the Nano, however it is all subjective..................I would suggest you park up at an Apple Store and audition, audition, audition, talk to the guys there, I have always found them helpful, and when you have finished, audition once more.

Good luck

manicm

I beg to differ, I've had the previous Classic 120GB which is identical to the current one in all but capacity - and it sounded horribly dull.

I believe the best sounding iPod is the Nano, followed by the Touch - I have the 64Gb one.

It seems sound quality is not on Jobs' priority list - it's not far-fetched to expect that future iPods may well sound worse.

The Classic certainly does.

TRENDING THREADS