iPhone 6S sound

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My contract on my two year old 5S has just ended, so I opted to go for a 6S seing as there are some good deals around. As much as anything I was eager to hear how it sounded. My upgrade path has been 4S-5S-6S over four years, and sonically I always felt the 5S was a step backwards. It never seemed to have the same bite/clarity/slam as the 4S, which couldn't just be explained away by the fact the 4S went quite a bit louder.

My testing has involved listening to my usual lossless CD rips via direct connection to my HiFi using the headphone port, plus listening on headphones through both my Senn RS180's and my ATH-M50X's.

Long story cut short, and even though this handset would appear to have the same maximum volume as my 5S, the quality seems to be back. Which I'm very pleased with. Though this could well be the last time it makes any difference what a new iPhone sounds like because Apple are rumoured to be getting shot of the headphone jack in favour of amplified earphones using the lightning connector or more likely bluetooth.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Might be interesting to try the arcam case/DAC?

Might be, and thanks for your suggestion, but dropping £120 on an external phone DAC is just not where my money is heading at the moment, nor will it be in any distant future I can envisage. Though if Apple really does lose the headphone socket on the iPhone 7, I can imagine cheap equivalents of the Arcam phone DAC might become very popular.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You could get a latest generation AirPort Express for £45 from CEX and plug it into your amp with a 3.5mm jack - 2 x RCA lead. Run an ethernet cable to it from your wireless router and job done.

This would give you the benefit of AirPlay from your iPhone 6S (and from your Mac Mini too).

The DAC in the AEX is very respectable, so no need for any more expensive external DACS.

K

keeper of the quays

My iPod touch 4 dac is simply stunning! That test they did..comparing it to benchmark dac? Not surprised! If you use the right type of amplification, it's jaw dropping! Ps your not using the right type of amplification.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
You could get a latest generation AirPort Express for £45 from CEX and plug it into your amp with a 3.5mm jack - 2 x RCA lead. Run an ethernet cable to it from your wireless router and job done.

This would give you the benefit of AirPlay from your iPhone 6S (and from your Mac Mini too).

Mac Mini is already connected to the amp via the HRT II+ DAC. You're right about AirPlay; I've been thinking of getting an AEX for ages really, just for the convenience of playing Apple Music or Radio from my phone to the HiFi. It just always gets pushed down the list of priorities :)

keeper of the quays said:
Ps your not using the right type of amplification.

Thanks for your views on my HiFi but I won't be changing it any time soon.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
chebby said:

Mac Mini is already connected to the amp via the HRT II+ DAC. You're right about AirPlay; I've been thinking of getting an AEX for ages really, just for the convenience of playing Apple Music or Radio from my phone to the HiFi. It just always gets pushed down the list of priorities :)

Ps your not using the right type of amplification.

Thanks for your views on my HiFi but I won't be changing it any time soon.
My iPod doesn't sound it's best on my kit either..you need to put it through a t amp..it will make your jaw drop..i guarantee it..i was 100% right about eraser sponge cleaning of lps..im right about this too! I can tell you the one to get too..if you want? They cost £30..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you the one to get too..if you want? They cost £30..

Thanks for the offer but I'm a happy bunny with my set-up at the moment, probably happier than I have been for years if I'm honest, and I won't be upsetting the apple cart :)

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
I can tell you the one to get too..if you want? They cost £30..

Thanks for the offer but I'm a happy bunny with my set-up at the moment, probably happier than I have been for years if I'm honest, and I won't be upsetting the apple cart :)
Fair enough..you got good kit as I have....but when I put my iPod thru t amp with the speaker cables split in two as the gauge doesn't fit in the horrid binding clips..i suddenly realised how good the iPod dac is...and..you won't believe me! The sound from you tube thru iPod into t amp..then into speakers...is as good as my hi res Sony player..might even be better? For £30? If it's too good to be true then it isn't true? That's the saying! Then this is the exception that proves the rule?

r_o_n_n_i

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I use iPhone 6s (128GB), quite happy with line out sound quality; IEMs TDK BA200, Etymotic ER4SR, Headphone Beyerdynamic T51p. The 6s can drive those gear well, set vol 60-80%.

When I use high impendance headphone like Sennheiser HD600,I add Centrance M8 as external DAC+Amp.(through lightning port)

My music files is FLAC file run on FLAC player+ application.

I leave my dedicated DAP at home, and bring 6S as DAP.

~ron~

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts