iPad out of warranty

Benji

May 3, 2015
Visit site
My 3rd Generation 64gb IPad was bought in December 2012 and therefore obviously out of warrant at being 2 years 6 months old, I did not take out Apple Care It has developed a charging problem where I can only get it to charge when powered down and even then it takes hours and hours and never reaches full charge. I have changed charging blocks/cables, kept it updated, rebooted, connected to the laptop and checked the port for lint and debris. Nothing has worked. Apple have offered to replace it like for like ( new 3rd Gen IPad ) for £75 or £95 part exchange for the latest models. Does this sound fair or should I try my luck with the Sales of Goods act ? Less than 3 years after spending several hundred pounds on a product does not seem right, in fact I took the original iPad back in spring 2013 because of a failed touch screen. Many thanks to anyone that can offer suggestions .

Where did you buy it from? I would be tempted by the £95 offer. After a period of use, if the item isn't repairable, the retailer is within rights to deduct some amount for the period you've used. So the offer is fair.

Benji

May 3, 2015
Visit site
biigboss thanks for your reply.

It was I beileve bought from the Apple shop ( it was a present ) . Actually I thought I could connect it to my laptop but it will not recognise it, the laptop will however recognise my partners iPad Mini. Well it is approaching my birthday so I am tempted with the upgrade perhaps I could negotiate.

jjbomber

Benji said:
biigboss thanks for your reply.

It was I beileve bought from the Apple shop ( it was a present ) . Actually I thought I could connect it to my laptop but it will not recognise it, the laptop will however recognise my partners iPad Mini. Well it is approaching my birthday so I am tempted with the upgrade perhaps I could negotiate.

If you know the buyer and they bought it on their credit card, they can apply for a refund from the credit card company. They will only get what the second-hand value is worth today, not the new value. It may be a better option.

jjbomber said:
If you know the buyer and they bought it on their credit card, they can apply for a refund from the credit card company. They will only get what the second-hand value is worth today, not the new value. It may be a better option. 

Exactly. The OP will lose more than £75 if you consider the second hand value of the old iPad model. So Apple's offer is better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts