iOS app for streaming music from a NAS

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of a music-playing app on iOS which will stream ALAC files from my NAS gaplessly? Currently I'm using Stratospherix' FileBrowser V9, which sort of does a good job on the whole but is too dumb to buffer the start of next track before the current one finishes, so even when playing tracks in 'Album' mode you always get a gap the size of the Grand Canyon.

Ta.

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
Does anyone know of a music-playing app on iOS which will stream ALAC files from my NAS gaplessly? Currently I'm using Stratospherix' FileBrowser V9, which sort of does a good job on the whole but is too dumb to buffer the start of next track before the current one finishes, so even when playing tracks in 'Album' mode you always get a gap the size of the Grand Canyon.

Ta.

Works on my ipad pro. About the only thing that does! Apparently Apple now make 17 different adapters to rip off their fans. Nice business if you can get it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Works on my ipad pro. About the only thing that does!

Even gapless? That seems to be my main problem. It only seems to go hunting the NAS for the next file after it's finished playing the current one, even in 'album' mode, so I get a gap. I thought of joining a forum more focused on iOS/Andriod/mobile HiFi to ask for alternatives, but I'm not sure if such a forum exists, nor whether anyone would understand what I was asking.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am sticking with iTunes for my rips then. I take gapless for granted given how many of my CDs are BBC Audio drama, comedy, documentary etc. (Hundreds of them.)

Typically a ripped CD will have twenty 'tracks' and I have always relied on iTunes/AirPlay etc. to play these gaplessly. It's not let me down yet.

Without gapless it'd be a nightmare listening to so-called 'spoken word' content. (It's not all just live concerts.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I am sticking with iTunes for my rips then. I take gapless for granted given how many of my CDs are BBC Audio drama, comedy, documentary etc. (Hundreds of them.)

Typically a ripped CD will have twenty 'tracks' and I have always relied on iTunes/AirPlay etc. to play these gaplessly. It's not let me down yet.

Without gapless it'd be a nightmare listening to so-called 'spoken word' content. (It's not all just live concerts.)
Quite. On an iPad / iPhone the only problem with the Music app is you can't make it stream files from your LAN-based iTunes library, lossless or otherwise, unless you have iTunes running on a computer on your network. Which defeats the object. The Music app will of course stream lossless files stored on the same iDevice, but seeing my music collection runs to 290Gb of ALAC files, storing them on an iPhone / iPad is for now a fantasy. Maybe one day when a 512Gb iPad / iPhone has been made and is a couple of gens old so it's realistically priced, we'll look at these days as being a bit quaint with our 32Gb phones and tablets.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
... we'll look at these days as being a bit quaint with our 32Gb phones and tablets.

I have had 128GB devices (iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 3) for almost two years now.

32GB has been 'quaint' to me for a long time and I am looking forward to upgrading to a 256GB iPhone and 256GB iPad early next year so I can pack even more on them.

My chosen compression is 320k AAC VBR (with error correction) for most of my collection.

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
jjbomber said:
Yes even gapless. Most of my collection is live recordings, so gapless is a must for me. I am away until next week, so I'll conduct more tests with longer songs when I return.

Thanks I'll have a look at Foobar

Yes. back home now. Foobar2000 works gapless. Using a Dio concert from 1983 in San Jose on FLAC, Ipad PRO (sic), HDMI to Oppo 105D, Naim n-Vi.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
MajorFubar said:
jjbomber said:
Yes even gapless. Most of my collection is live recordings, so gapless is a must for me. I am away until next week, so I'll conduct more tests with longer songs when I return.

Thanks I'll have a look at Foobar

Yes. back home now. Foobar2000 works gapless. Using a Dio concert from 1983 in San Jose on FLAC, Ipad PRO (sic), HDMI to Oppo 105D, Naim n-Vi.

Downloaded it the other day as per yor suggestion, thanks. The only problem I've found is its networking abilities are limited to UPnP devices, and so if you view by Folder and not by Album it plays tracks alphabetically rather than in track order. But I can work round that.

I'd like to know how you stop it autoplaying the last track you played every time you open it, I admit that's doing my tree in a bit. There *must* be a setting somewhere.

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
Downloaded it the other day as per your suggestion, thanks. The only problem I've found is its networking abilities are limited to UPnP devices, and so if you view by Folder and not by Album it plays tracks alphabetically rather than in track order. But I can work round that.

You cab create a playlist to play the tracks in order. It's a Cr-Apple, so total incompatability is to be expected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts