Integrated Amp for Dynaudio Excite 14

zarathustra38

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

It's time to move on and upgrade my Rega Brio R. While the sound with Dynaudio Excite 14 has been OK, and occasionally even pretty good, I feel that the amp really is on its toes, and there isn't anything left, really. These speakers just need much more juice. I need a muscular amp, at least 85W per channel / 8ohm, preferably 100W+. My budget is only €1000-1500 but I am thinking of second hand gear, so that I would probably get more for my buck. All suggestions are welcome, especially from those who have had experiences with Dynaudio speakers. So fire away, please!

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
its not about the wattage its about the current your amp can deliver to your speakers, i use the kef ls50's and they are current hungry, my amp could easily run your speakers to there capacity... i had the brio-r and agree that your bass is proabaly overbloated and the amp could be struggling, my advise would be to demo some different amps to find your perfect partner.

hi fi is a jigsaw, get it right and its perfect, get the wrong piece and you will be scratching your head for ages!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dynaudio Excite 14

Sensitivity: 85 dB (2,83 V/1 m)

IEC Power Handling > 150 W

Impedance: 8 Ohm

Frequency Response: 50 Hz–23 kHz (± 3 dB)

Roksan Kandy K2 BT

Output Power:

>150W Into 8Ω Both Channels Driven

>300W Into 4Ω Both Channels Driven

Power Supply:

550VA Ultra Low Noise Toroidal Transformer.

5 Regulated Supply Rails.

Frequency Response: (-3dB), <3Hz – >100kHz

Gain: 37.3dB Overall (Pre & Power)

Harmonic Distortion: <0.005% 1kHz - 8 Ohms

Power Consumption: Standby: <25W

Full Power 2-CH: 8Ω <330W, 4Ω <550W

Weight: 14kg

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a Brio R paired with X12 until 4 month ago, demo severel options on home demo:

Rega Elicit R

linn Majik DSM

Roksan M2

Unison Research Unico Nuovo

And the one i've bought, Pathos Classic One!

Dynaudio like some power, but most important of all good power, preferably class A or A/B that were my conclusions.

My Pathos have only 70wpc but does a more efective job that all the others that i've demo with the exeption of the UR. This two hybrids got the dyns by the b@lls, full of controle and grip.

zarathustra38

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input! I was thinking of Unison Research Primo (85W) as it comes up second hand every now and then. Apparently, it is not supposed to be overly warm-sounding, as I feared. Will look up other suggestions as well. Cheers for now!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at this, been causing a stir on another thread.....

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

v2_2.jpg

Built by ex Electrocompaniet people (as if you couldn't tell) and curently on sale as there are new models coming. It is suggested that this amp is entirely comparable with entry level classic Electro, for about a quarter of the price. Should be just over €750, inc shipping.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Kandy K2BT is a better choice since the Dynaudios Excite 14 are 8 ohms nominal and power hungry. The Abrahamsen is better at chucking out amperes to maintain voltage at low impedances but at normal impedances above 4 ohms with low sensitivity speakers more voltage is what you want. Also the Abrahamsen is a blind buy and the Roksan can be auditioned.

zarathustra38 said:
Hi there,

It's time to move on and upgrade my Rega Brio R. While the sound with Dynaudio Excite 14 has been OK, and occasionally even pretty good, I feel that the amp really is on its toes, and there isn't anything left, really. These speakers just need much more juice. I need a muscular amp, at least 85W per channel / 8ohm, preferably 100W+. My budget is only €1000-1500 but I am thinking of second hand gear, so that I would probably get more for my buck. All suggestions are welcome, especially from those who have had experiences with Dynaudio speakers. So fire away, please!

I'll throw a spanner in the works: Look at Naim XS (original) and Leema Elements. I've heard the Naim with Dynaudio Contour S1.4 (retailed around £1600) and sounded a fabulous combo. Going with a slightly leaner presentation, the Elements is a must hear with Dyns. In hindsight, wished I could've tried Dyns with the Pulse.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The Kandy K2BT is a better choice since the Dynaudios Excite 14 are 8 ohms nominal and power hungry. The Abrahamsen is better at chucking out amperes to maintain voltage at low impedances but at normal impedances above 4 ohms with low sensitivity speakers more voltage is what you want. Also the Abrahamsen is a blind buy and the Roksan can be auditioned.

Buying blind and on hearsay is always a risk, I have been around the 'hi-fi block' a fair number of times and believe I have quite a good handle on what is likely to work or not, I would be willing to take 'a punt' at that price, though recommending others to do so is, perhaps, unfair.

I am also, in this particular case, rather chasing the dream on this one, some years ago I contemplated replacing my EL34 based valve amplifier with something with a bit more power. I thought my tiny ribbon hybrid speakers would respond to a more powerful amplifier, and the model in question was the Electrcompaniet ECI5, at that time still, just, under £2k.

I thought it superb, head and shoulders above anything else at the time and had I gone along with the change, this would have been my choice. The point of this being that if the Aberhamsen is even remotely close in performance, it is an absolute steal at the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts