In Need of Support

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, here's the deal. I have been mucking about with cables these last few months, even dabbling with different amp setups. Yes, there have been definite improvements, but after being brave enough to post photos of my system, it was pointed out that changes to the components' location would bear fruit. No real surprise, I have to admit.

I don't anticipate any opportunity to drastically alter the overall situation. It would cause more problems than it might solve (if you know what I mean). However...it's just a thought, but should I find a suitable hi-fi rack, would there be any advantage to be had by locating it within the existing wooden unit?

At the moment the Atacama Europa Reference 8 looks very interesting. It fits just inside the existing unit (at least on paper) assuming the floor spikes have a footprint that is a couple of cm less than the stated 80cm x 40cm dimensions. For reference, the inside of the current unit itself measures 84cm x 38cm x 72cm. Arguably just enough.

Anyone know what the Atacama's internal measurements are? Ie, available space between the supports.

My various components, as listed below, fit nicely and variously side-by-side or vertically in the cabinet. The Atacama seems capable of sitting inside the cabinet and supporting the kit properly, whilst maintaining roughly the same layout.

Does anyone own this WHF 5-star rated product and care to comment?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
idc:ESP, I cannot see your system in that part of the forum. Can you post photos here so we can see what you mean?

Hiya Dr. Evil (I see the World Domination is comin along nicely)

Have a look at this...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/413828.aspx

I wonder whether putting a £400+ product like the Atacama inside the current cabinet will offset the claimed benefits or, indeed, whether it would be a cost effective upgrade anyway? As I have said, the cabinet is quite sturdy and I am incorporating several granite chopping boards plus plenty of BluTak. Not much obvious reverberation in evidence. And the system does sound quite good now. Will a purpose-made stand help? Hmmmm.

Cheers,

Dark Lord of BIY

idc

Dark Lord of BIY !? Anyway, I was one of those who said you need a stand and if you fit one into the space I would go for it. For a start, your cabinet and the kit in it does not look level.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
idc:Dark Lord of BIY !? Anyway, I was one of those who said you need a stand and if you fit one into the space I would go for it. For a start, your cabinet and the kit in it does not look level.

Cheeky! Nah, it's your eyes - they ain't level.
emotion-4.gif
Now I've got to go and get the spirit level out! Or, more reasonably, ask whether you were commenting on the last photos (all tidied up) or the earlier ones with the wires everywhere? Oh, and it may have been the rather hurried photography and the fact that my eyes aren't level. Nope, looking at it from here, still looks level-ish to me.

Anyway, I'm not splashing out over £400 on a stand just yet. I've been spending too much on all those cables! However, I will give it due consideration. I still need to know what the measurements between the support pillars are on the Atacama - maybe I'll drop them a line.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Aha! Sad soul that I am, I got the spirit level out and checked: everything pretty much spot on.

However, the various components can probably benefit from a few extra cm of separation from one another for extra ventilation.

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you check out the Quadraspire range of racks of which, the cabinets may well be up your street.It will also improve the sound of the system as well.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Adnams:Why don't you check out the Quadraspire range of racks of which, the cabinets may well be up your street.It will also improve the sound of the system as well.

Sadly, though the Quadraspire products look attractive, they are either too large or too small for what I would have in mind.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
In fact, the more I think on it, at least in the short term, I am tempted by the World Dominating IDC's DIY ideas. Maybe his OOTW 'Anti-Grav' granite chopping board and doorstop combo is worth a try. I already have 4 Tesco 40x30cm chopping boards - maybe I will go get some doorstops and Araldite...

TRENDING THREADS