In-Earphone Echo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had a pair of Shure SE110s. As much as adored them the one thing that really annoyed me was I could hear a bit of echo. This was especially apparent on tracks that had subdued vocals with minimal acoustic accompaniment. I thought that it might be the earphones or the iPod (Video 5.5G) and it wasn't noticable enough 90% of the time to bother me.

Then I got an iPod Touch (3G) and that echo was still there. Thought: must be the phones.

Just got a pair of Ortofon e-Q7s and the echo is still there
emotion-6.gif
. What's wrong with me ears???

Anybody experience this too? Any thoughts on how to fix it? (Btw, my hearing is really good generally.)

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Could it be that you're hearing studio reverberation?

As in intentional or rubbish-mastering reverb? I don't think so. For some songs I highly doubt that it would be there.

I'll give some examples where I can hear vocal reverb:

Santana - Black Magic Woman

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Billy Joel - She's Always A Woman

Quite a few more with low acoustical, high vocal content (that's where it's most noticable anyway). The best analogy I can give is if the bands were playing in a hall or stadium or something and you can hear the echo.

How can I tell for sure? Would it help if I uploaded those three songs and someone tested/analysed them to see if they hear it too?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:As in natural. Studios aren't completely dry - in the acoustic sense. Or it could be some reverb was added in the recording/mixing process...

Yeah, somehow I don't think it is.

Actually, just realised, listened to those tracks on my ATC SCM19s and no reverb. Hmm... What can I do, it's really starting to annoy me?!

Further, I have now realised the extent of the iTouch's sound-quality inferiority to my Video 5.5G. Damn, spent AU$549 on it!

A

Anonymous

Beta4Me:
Further, I have now realised the extent of the iTouch's sound-quality inferiority to my Video 5.5G. Damn, spent AU$549 on it!

Oh wait, that's 'cause it was on charge whilst I was listening to it and had a rubbish EQ on. Much better now after fixing that. Probably a very slight subjective difference rather than apparent inferiority.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just played the Santana track you refer to on the computer and through the main system here at home - the things I do for these forums - and there's distinct reverb on the vocals, evident even through the computer speakers.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
What you could be hearing is a mild "Haffler effect", caused by a short circuit between the left and right positive signals.
For example, (and I'm NOT recommending you do!) if one was to connect a third loudspeaker across the two positive terminals of a stereo system, you will hear only what is common between the left and right channels, in most cases this will be the reverb.
It's almost like listening to the vocals from avery long distance away, as reverb sends are usually not panned in a standard stereo mix.

To troubleshoot the player and the headphones/earphones, just try them together with different units.

A

Anonymous

Tonya:

To troubleshoot the player and the headphones/earphones, just try them together with different units.

I've tried two different iPod with two different sets of in-earphones. There is definitely still reverb. Although it isn't as noticable on my loudspeakers. It's really annoying but I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.

And thanks, Andrew, for testing that out for me. I guess I'll have to do some of my own in depth testing.

A

Anonymous

I have now come to realise that it is the songs, and only the songs, causing the problems. It's less noticeable on my speakers but it is there nonetheless. Therefore: problem solved!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts