In a black hole blindfolded....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I'm currently looking to buy a new TV and don't know which way to turn. Firstly I'm living in Sweden so prices, and model numbers as far as I can see, differ from the UK.

The screens I'm thinking about are:

Samsung 46" LED UE46C6005 RWXXEE 1200GBP

Samsung 50" 3D Plasma PS50C7705 1800GBP

Samsung 55" LCD UE556005 1950GBP

Panasonic 50" Plasma TX-P50G20E 1200GBP

Panasonic 50 Plasma TXP50V20E 1700GBP

Now I know I should go and see each one and audition, but unfortuantly that's not an option. I'd be using the TV in a room that's approx 20msq, and viewing distance is approx 4m. Thanks to 24 hour sunlight during summer months, I have black out windows so screen glare isn't an issue. I'm not that interested in 3D, however the Samsung 3D TV has just come on "special offer" over here so thought I'd throw that in the mix. I can't find reviews on any of the samsung TV's on any UK websites and don't speak Swedish to read the reviews over here. I'd be using a either a Yamaha 1065 or Denon 1911 amp, and depending on which TV I go for will be using B&W 685 5.1 or Monitor Audio BR2 5.1 system. I'll be watching the new football season (IN HD) so ideally want smooth pictures during sport (which I've read somewhere that the Samsung 50+inches don't give?!?). I won't be playing ay games consoles through the TV.

I have seen the Samsung 46" LED UE6005 and was pretty impressed albeit in a large store with Avatar as the blu ray of choice. But as the room is pretty big and I'd be around 4.5m away, I'd like a bigger screen.

What are your opinions on my choice of screens? Are there any obivious ones, in the price range above, that I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice and opinions shared

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

id be looking at the plasmas , the v20 or the 3d samsung , 3d footie in the future ??

motion will be fine on either imo , the v20 may be a little better pic quality wise as reviews suggest , but the sammy is also said to be very good , and 3d , hmmm .. tough choice ..

A

Anonymous

When I saw the Samsung 46inch, I looked at other Plasmas (admittedly none of the ones mentioned above) and the LED was head and shoulders above on Motion "smoothness". Is that generally the rule on LED's or was I just looking at rubbish plasmas?!?

A

Anonymous

most decent tvs are fine with motion , but generally the better plasmas are better with motion than lcds (though im sure others will disagree) , in fact the v20 which is very similar to the vt20 should be among the best tvs out there with motion , as the vt20 is excellent in this regard , although it does have faster phosphor cells which help ..

its hard to tell from shop demos whats really what , because you dont know how tvs are set-up , id say most of the time they are set-up poorly to be honest , can you go back to the store where you seen the samsung ? maybe ask the salesman for the remote control of a few different models and change motion settings on each to properly compare ? its the only way to be sure really ..

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Godriah:When I saw the Samsung 46inch, I looked at other Plasmas (admittedly none of the ones mentioned above) and the LED was head and shoulders above on Motion "smoothness". Is that generally the rule on LED's or was I just looking at rubbish plasmas?!?

Either you have been looking at rubbish plasmas with awful picture processing, or the screens have been set to over excessive picture interpolation, which funnily enough have been developed to smooth out the picture but often lead to the opposite.

I don't know why manufacturers of plasma screens keeps applying these tools, because the screens are more than fast enough to handle motion without it.

A

Anonymous

I asked about settings (the best I could in a foreign langauge!) and he told me that all sets were set to the factory setting.

A

Anonymous

well if good motion , for sports etc is your main criteria , then any of the plasmas on your list will fit the bill ...

A

Anonymous

And like I said, depending on the cost of the TV, I can spend a little extra on the sound system. Hopefully I'll get chance to check out the plasmas mentioned before buying blind online.

A

Anonymous

you really should if possible , some people prefer lcds , you need to make sure you get the right tv for you when spending all that cash
emotion-21.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Godriah:I asked about settings (the best I could in a foreign langauge!) and he told me that all sets were set to the factory setting.

Which then means all the various processing will be turned on.

A

Anonymous

I've just also seen the LG 60PK550N for approx 1450GBP. I've read some pretty good reviews on Amazon from the States, but can't seem to find anthing from the U.K. Anybody seen/own this TV?

Cheers

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
The factory/default settings are usually miles off and are designed to make the tv stand out in a brightly lit store. If possible you need to view the tv's in home lighting conditions with properly calibrated settings. My tv for example (42" Pany PZ85) had IFC turned on by default with the factory settings, the colour and brightness was also miles off.

IFC is a picture processing gizmo that is supposed to make motion smoother, watching football or tennis for example was a nightmare as the ball seemed to jump from point to point. With IFC turned off the motion was fantastic and you could see the ball moving smoothly through the air.

Thats why it is almost impossible to compare different tv's in some stores as you have no idea what settings are switched on or how many tvs are connected to the same feed. Alot of tvs give better performance with all these gizmos turned off, and a properly set up tv can make a huge difference to the picture quality over the factory settings.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Godriah:

Thanks to 24 hour sunlight during summer months, I have black out windows so screen glare isn't an issue.

Just wondering how far north you are? Living in England (52deg N) I can't imagine what 24 hour sunlight is like. BTW, I bought a 32" LCD last year and I regret every day how small it is, please don't get a screen that's too small, bigger is better in my book.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
SpiceWeasel:

IFC is a picture processing gizmo that is supposed to make motion smoother, watching football or tennis for example was a nightmare as the ball seemed to jump from point to point. With IFC turned off the motion was fantastic and you could see the ball moving smoothly through the air.

I fully agree and this is what I find some kind of a paradox. When a TV is doing excellent in handling of motion, why develop and apply such a feature that just make things worse?

A

Anonymous

I live in a small place called Palgard, which is about 8 hours north of Stockholm so, yeah, 24 hour sunlight can be a nightmare!! I checked out a LG 50PK550 on the weekend and have to say the the results weren't good. I only managed to see some of MTV HD, which looked terrible. I guess the best I could explain the picture was "blocky"! Chris Martins face during a live performance was pasty and looked to be made up of squares as were the faces of the crowd as the camera panned over. Pretty bad. The other thing I managed to watch was some of the England v Hungary game. Again, motion was a big issue. Unfortunately I didn't have control of the remote but the "salesman" did try to change some of the picture settings which made no difference (TXH, Film, Sport settings). I'm still hoping to see the 60 inch LG hopefully this time I'll get to play with the TV myself to adjust some of the settings mentioned earlier in the post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts