Improvement to system

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My system comprises Rega Brio R, Audiolab 8200 cd player and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. If I wanted to improve this system which of the components would it be best to replace

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You don't say what you think is wrong with your system. If you're happy with it, stick with it, don't get caught up in the idea that you have to be on a constant upgrade path. However, if you feel there are deficiencies, let us know what they are and people can make more informed suggestions.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
That's good advice from Ben, I am at the point now where I'm really happy with things, it could be the synergy but sometimes upgrading one part if your system may upset the balance. Like Ben said what part of your system do you think could be improved?

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time fine, but some of my cd,s are quite old like me and are either poor recordings or my system is a bit bright and I wonder if a channge of amp to something like the new Arcam 19 might help

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If I were you I'd take pleasure from the fact that your system is good enough to show up a poor recording and look out for some good remasters of your favourite tunes. I don't know the amp, so I can't comment on its tone.

T

the record spot

You'd be better off checking out the Steve Hoffman forums and finding out if you can get a better mastering than keep hunting down new bits of kit. Most of your system is about five minutes old anyway, so hang on to it. If it's bright, then look at the speakers and find something more balanced. The RX6 seems to split opinion to some extent. Or you could reporsition them slightly? Maybe try toeing them out a little, or otherwise shifting their position a bit? The amp and CDP will be fine. Recommend the Hoffman site though; fantastic resource.

T

the record spot

Jame5 said:
If I were you I'd take pleasure from the fact that your system is good enough to show up a poor recording and look out for some good remasters of your favourite tunes. I don't know the amp, so I can't comment on its tone.

It's often the remasters that are the culprits! The original CDs (at least of most of the music I like) are usually more faithful to the analogue recording.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If we're talking change for the sake of change, I guess a better amp is what I'd look at first, but I'd be looking to spend significantly more - maybe the 1000 pound mark, because I think buying the Arcam 19 would be more of a sideways step that might give you a different sound, not necessarily an improved sound (unless the characteristics of the Arcam amp fill the gap for what you think your current amp is missing).

Lo Fi said:
Most of the time fine, but some of my cd,s are quite old like me and are either poor recordings or my system is a bit bright and I wonder if a channge of amp to something like the new Arcam 19 might help

Given you find some recordings a bit bright, the fact you have the Audiolab and RX6s isn't helping in this area. It was commented on another thread that you have to take the rough with the smooth. If you go for a warmer amp option it'll tame the bright recordings but make others sound dull IMO.

Anyway for £500 you're unlikely to find better than the Rega. If anything I'd look at changing speakers and/or CDP (Rega RS3 would make a lot of sense with your amp.) :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, well you have great kit! If it was me then I would probably change the RX6s although they are great speakers, I personally find them bright with some amplification. Perhaps you could try the Dynaudio DM 2/7s, have heard people using it with Brios and are happy.

Cheers,

Shafin

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
q
Have only recently purchased the RX6s so not keen on changing them. Previously had RX1s which did not seem so bright, maybe I just need to run them in longer or perhaps get some ne speaker cable.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This will explain a lot. It took mine a week before a noticable improvement, including leaving them on quietely overnight and most of the day.
I have used the speakers for about 40/50 hours is this not enough to run them in.
I was listening very carefully today and found that most of my music was very detailed and dynamic so would not want to miss that aspect.
The sound is so clear on some recordings its like theartist is in the room. One other thing is that the room is quite live due to laminate floor which no doubt causes some of the brightness.

Lo Fi said:
plastic penguin said:
This will explain a lot. It took mine a week before a noticable improvement, including leaving them on quietely overnight and most of the day.

I have used the speakers for about 40/50 hours is this not enough to run them in. I was listening very carefully today and found that most of my music was very detailed and dynamic so would not want to miss that aspect. The sound is so clear on some recordings its like theartist is in the room. One other thing is that the room is quite live due to laminate floor which no doubt causes some of the brightness.

Right... that isn't helping the situation. I only time I've heard the RS6s sounding harsh was in a dem room which was sparse and had two huge glass windows. It did sound cloying. The amps used were the Leema and Moon.

Personally I would give it another week or so and then decide whether they have tamed enough.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi lofi,if i was you i'd give the system a bit more time to bed in ,when you start out with hifi and you got brand new system there,it's so easy to fall in the upgrade path choping and changing,what happens you end up listening to the hifi and not the music,belevie me i been there.if in a few months time and,your still not happy,maybe have a go at diffrent interconnects and speaker cable these do make a huge diffrence in the way a systems sounds.most of all enjoy the music thats what it's all about.cheers david

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts