Impressed by vinyl

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
So today I was at my maternal grandfathers funeral, and the funeral feast was being held at an old lady's place.

She played some music on her stereo (old Sony "hi-fi" all-in-one). I then got pleasantly surprised to see that her speakers actually were some old Wharfedales ("real" hi-fi") :p

A few hours later I noticed that she had an old Philips F710 turntable. I looked a little bit through her collection of LP's and found a record by Victor Jara. I showed it to my dad, because at the moment I write a "big" assignment about the chilean coup in 1973 (I'm in high school btw). Apparently I didn't push the record far enough into the bookshelf when I put it back, because the old lady noticed the record, and I admitted that I was the one who had pulled it out, because I noticed it was a LP of Victor Jara. We then talked about him a little, and she then offered to play it on her turntable. I was like "YES" :D (Not really because it was Victor Jara, but because I have wanted to listen to a turntable for a month now or something to found out a little more about the vinyl vs cd sound).

The sound coming out from the speakers was like in a total different league, compared to how they sounded with cd.

It was much more like a life performance. Much more natural and also clearer sound.

I am now home again, and straight away I fired up some music, and guess what, I was slightly dissapointed. This system is worth so much more than her (ancient) Sony stereo and Philips turntable, and still I think the sound coming out of my speakers now is a little boring. Am totally going to have a home demo with a Rega Apollo and Rega P-3-24 turntable :p

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've been reminiscing over vinyl myself the last few days to the point of looking at turntables, arms, cartridges, phono amps etc, if only to remind me of how things once were (happy days).

Haven't heard vinyl - at least properly - in 25 years, but I really cannot face starting a seperate collection again so I think this one will pass. A thing of love gently lowering the arm on to an album, rather than just sliding a disc in to a tray or clicking a mouse on a screen. Good luck!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Good for you, matey! Yep, get that home demo sorted and you'll not look back. Vinyl's great. I've been a fully fledged vinyl junkie for 3 months, and i've got to admit that the CDP is getting used less and less since the vinyl bug took hold!

A

Anonymous

And thank you! Have just ordered some Victor Jara, albeit on CD.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Heh :p

I hadn't heard Victor Jara before, and I thought it was pretty good
emotion-5.gif

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Vinyl all the way for me, love it. Still don't think there's any thing better than buying a new album, getting home and sliding that sleave out and dropping the vinyl on the turntable. Then sitting there reading all the cover and sleave while you sit back and listen to the album. Sound quality is far better than cd imho.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts