Ikea Expedit

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
As i've mentioned in another thread we're moving at the weekend so will soon be making the customary trip to ikea. Thinking about treating myself to a new unit or two for the record collection/hi-fi and the expedit seems like the obvious choice.

Couple of thoughts/questions though, I was looking at the 8 square one but it's twice the price of 2 of the 4 squares so i'm thinking about just 2 little ones side by side. I'm not missing an obvious difference between the different units am I?

Are they sturdy enough to have my turntable on top of one and my amp on the other?

The white is ugly but half the price, has anyone bought these and painted them a less offensive colour?

This'll be the 1st time me and the missus have been to ikea together, she's gonna hate it. Something about that shop brings out the child in me, actually that's not true i act childish everywhere

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
have a trawl through the ikea hackers website, you might find exactly what you are after... or not. But for an example, here http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/10/large-expedit-vinyl-turntable-shelving.html

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
One thing to do with any flat pack furniture is to use wood glue on the joints whilst assembling..

It increases the strength and stabilty of the finished article.

Leave it for 24 hours to fully cure.

Make sure you have a damp rag to wipe off the excess glue.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
They're sturdy enough to take a lot of weight - I had an eight hole one full of LP's, which weigh a lot.

Not sure I'd put my equipment on top, particularly the turntable. I tried it and got lots of feedback, jumping needles and the like. It might work better if you put something heavy on top. Say a couple of painted sheets of 25mm MDF, a big slab of slate, etc. As for painting them - you'd need a lot of primer, I'd have thought it would be better / cheaper to just buy the dearer non-white one(s).

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
I've got two turntables and a mixer on a 4 x 2 expedit. I also put some capita legs on to raise the level. 3/4 filled with vinyl and no issues, touch wood!

This is aimed at DJ types but useful info (and some cool systems).

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/10/16/how-to-create-a-professional-dj-booth-from-ikea-parts/

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I adapted an IKEA 4 x 2 to accommodate my PC set up and used a Lack shelf on top with Capita legs.

The TV unit is a 5 x 1 Expedit again a raised shelf using Capita legs - I have since replaced the Capita legs on the TV unit with longer ones that allow my centre speaker to sit on top at the same level as the L&R speakers.

Two 2 x 2 Expedit wold be wider then a single 4 x 2 - a consideration if space is an issue.

Pics here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/ikea-lounge

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS