If I were to buy a turntable

John Duncan

Yay! We knew you'd succumb eventually.
emotion-5.gif

For me, Project Debut/Project RPM5.2/Clearaudio Evolution/Michell Tecnodec/Michell Gyrodec, in order of budget.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If I were to get one, then it would be a decent deck so we are looking at £600 upwards at the very least, something upgradeable so the most important thing would be a top quality plinth, perhaps even a 2nd hand Sondek...

ÿ

John Duncan

JoelSim:
If I were to get one, then it would be a decent deck so we are looking at £600 upwards at the very least, something upgradeable so the most important thing would be a top quality plinth, perhaps even a 2nd hand Sondek...

Never been a big fan of the Sondek, purely on aesthetic grounds, but all of the above except the Debut have big upgrade potential (though maybe the Clearaudio Solution is a better bet on that front).

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
If you're interested in 2nd hand have a look at Michell, Nottingham Analogue and possibly Pink Triangle (harder to find but they were very good). The Sondek is obsolete.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Joel. Hope you`re well.

If you fancy spending £750-800 you too could be the proud owner of a Project Xperience X-pack which comes with a Ortofon Rhondo red cartridge (worth £300 by itself) and a Project Speedbox.

It`s a beauty!

A

Anonymous

I second the xperience xpack.

Kel,

Oooh, and a Knosti.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
survivor:

If you fancy spending £750-800 you too could be the proud owner of a Project Xperience X-pack which comes with aÿOrtofon Rhondo red cartridge (worth £300 by itself) and a Project Speedbox.

It`s a beauty! ÿ

You know my system, would you think it will fit in?

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
think hard on this - i bought the xpack with the rhondo red cartridge when it was first released and is prob my least used piece of kit - i also had zero vinyl like you - keep buying vinyl of my favorite albums have about 30 now but i find it really hard work - hate having to turn the thing over so normally end up listening to the cd especially when i'm crashed out on sofa and dogs got settled - the xpack also doesn'treturn to rest when gets to end of side - i also lack a place to buy good vinyl probably out of lazyness but you have to go looking for it. also nearly every album i have bought by mail isn't quite flat maybe just me being fussy - also like the massive attack repress for example has 2/3 songs per side - keeps you fit.

i also find my mf v8 cdp and dac now sounds better in a number of respects although the deck killed my kandy cdp in every way.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:survivor:

If you fancy spending £750-800 you too could be the proud owner of a Project Xperience X-pack which comes with a Ortofon Rhondo red cartridge (worth £300 by itself) and a Project Speedbox.

It`s a beauty!

You know my system, would you think it will fit in?

Good question Joel. Mmmnn.. well firstly the X-pack is a quality piece of kit which which I`m sure would sound great in a superb set up like yours. Just trying to think though about it`s placing. Can`t remember if there was space to the left of your system where it could sit? You obviously wouldn`t want to have another cabinet made. Could be tricky. Thinking about it you may find it easier to accomodate something a little `funkier` shape wise such as ....

Project RPM5 (£450), RPM6.1 (£600), RPM9.1 (£1,100)

Funk (£450), Funk V (£750)

Roksan Radius 5 (£900)

Quite a range of prices there for you to ponder over. I believe the Funk turntables are the lightest incase that`s important?

Wouldn`t bother to try to put this out of your mind. Now you`ve had the `calling` for a turntable it will eat away at you until you buy one! However, if you decide in the end not to get one you`ll have the consolation that you already own a great sounding cd player.

By the way if anyone`s going past Joel`s pop in to hear the best bass you`ve ever heard! Can`t remember the name of the particular track I heard but wow! Stunning.

Just thought, would it be an idea to wait until you move house? Might be better able to accomodate a turntable in a new place.

Good luck in your pondering!

nads

another one for the Xpack, but if you have no vinyl why? i picked mine up for 500 and i have only 300-350 of the 12" (wont count the 7").
If you are doing this as a means of experiencing most HiFi and how things sound I may consider the cheapest Project and spend the rest on the black stuff. and if you then like upgrade. http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/ for new 12"

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:
heystak:What vinyl albums have you got?

Nada

What, really?!?! Don't bother then. Seriously.

I'll second that Joel - if you don't already have a decent vinyl collection then I can't really see the point. I believe that your CD player will equal most of the TTs mentioned, so you won't really be gaining anything.

If you wanted to explore the 2nd hand vinyl market (which I love doing), then get yourself a reasonable 2nd hand TT, (perhaps something like a Rega Planar 3, Linn Axis, Manticore Mantra or Systemdek IIX) from about 5-10 years ago - you can pick up these for £150-200 and will do the job fine for most used vinyl, and won't be disgraced by your system.

As already mentioned, you can then spend the rest of the cash on building up a decent vinyl collection...either new from places like whatrecords, or 2nd hand from fleabay or boot sales...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts