IEMs for a headphone noob

NosmoKing

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Currently have some AM800 which I thought was kinda lacking in bass and then I started looking for a replacement.

I've been using my phone but today I used my PC to play some music (and also forgot about the bassy EQ I had set on there) and they sounded a lot better.

So I don't know if I really need that much more bass, but the bassiest set I've been looking at is the Shure 215. They seem pretty good for the money, and I like how they sit flat with the earlobe but I'm not sure if being over-the-ear only will annoy me, or if I'll get used to it. I did want something with a mic, but I can easily get a bluetooth adapter that does the same thing (and for half the price as the mic cable for the Shures)

Another pair were the MEE A161P. I've now realised that they arent V shaped, or as warm as the Shures, but more neutral overall. I'm not sure if I'd like these (my knowledge of headphones and also what I prefer is nearly non-existent.) seeing as I really like the v shaped nature of my AM800.

Anyone got any suggestions or advice? I'm gonna be getting a new phone soon, which I hope will be able to provide a better output but I'm still scared of spending money on some good IEMs and then not liking them :S

I'd ideally like to spend less than £60, to be used mainly with an Android device (probably a Nexus 5, but maybe a HTC One)

IEMs I'm currently looking at: Shure 215, MEElec A161P, Astrotec AM800 (I could keep my current ones if an upgrade isn't gonna make too much of a difference)

Thanks in advance

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This would be my choice, not from owning it, but from advice I trust.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/final-audio-design-adagio-iii-isolating-earphones-black-prodid-8838.html

NosmoKing

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I've found the JVC FXD80 and also the MEElec A161P. I know that they're slightly different in terms of sound signatures, but which would be best? I listen to all kinds of music really (mainly electronic/dubstep kinda stuff, a bit of house, but also more recently alterntive and folk) but I do like a bit of bass and some sparkle

jimmybob

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
If you can stretch the budget the Final Audio Design Heaven II are very impressive.

Really nicely balanced sound and the finish of the earphone is beautiful. Highly recommended!

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
+1 for the Final Audio Design Adagio III

I own these and they are sublime however they take ages to burn in to get the optimum sound.

Great for guitar music and pop as they border on bright and are very rhythmic and punchy.

For classical/jazz i would look elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts