Ideal speaker recommendations for Brio-R

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking to draw up a shortlist of speakers to try for a Brio-R and M-Dac combination and wanted to draw on the wisdom of these forums. After some medium sized standmounts preferrably, budget is theoretically 800-2000. Theya are for a small room, will be on Nexus 10is and for a wide range of music genres. Music ranges from 128kbps to EAC FLAC rips.

Given the power and sound of the Brio-R, what would people's reccomendations be for successful combinations. I'm after something that doesn't have aluminium drivers, as Kef's Uni-Q and the Tannoys haven't been to my tastes unfortunately.

The Proac D1s look quite appealing, but whether they'd work in this setup, or whether others may be preferrable I don't know.

Thanks a lot :cheers:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
lolmerchant said:
Hi all,

Looking to draw up a shortlist of speakers to try for a Brio-R and M-Dac combination and wanted to draw on the wisdom of these forums. After some medium sized standmounts preferrably, budget is theoretically 800-2000. Theya are for a small room, will be on Nexus 10is and for a wide range of music genres. Music ranges from 128kbps to EAC FLAC rips.

Given the power and sound of the Brio-R, what would people's reccomendations be for successful combinations. I'm after something that doesn't have aluminium drivers, as Kef's Uni-Q and the Tannoys haven't been to my tastes unfortunately.

The Proac D1s look quite appealing, but whether they'd work in this setup, or whether others may be preferrable I don't know.

Thanks a lot :cheers:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Dyns focus 160 or X12

Hi lolmerchant

If you're not after constant disco like listening levels then ATC's SCM11 monitors and Dynaudio's Excite X12's are worth considering. Fwiw, i found that the Brio-R also pairs well Monitor Audio's GX50's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Have you thought of the Rega RS3s? (£800).

They really do work well together with the Brio-R.

A What Hi-fi? review of 50 speakers back in June (I think) said the Rega RS3s were the best compact floorstanders for small-medium sized rooms.

Also a 'Same Make Systems' test with Rega Brio-R (P46 in the January 2012 issue) gave the speakers (and the system) 5 stars.

Because these were group/system reviews you won't find them online here (a bit of a shame really), but from personal experience of demo'ing RS3s with Rega and Naim equipment I can say they should be on your shortlist.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help so far guys. :cheers:

What ProAc Response speakers from the range (D1,D2, D18 etc.), if any, might be suitable for this setup considering the Brio-R's power.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I've had my Rega Brio R 2 weeks now and am very happy, I listened to the KEF q300 - not really impressed, then the MA RX1, a bit better than the KEF but they weren't blowing me away. My budget was £500, my hifi dealer suggested me listening to some Neat Motive 3 that they had ex demo for £640..... Now these speakers retail for £855.

Sweet holy Jesus they sounded flipping amazing, great control, impeccable timing and I was enjoying the music.

Needles to say I bought them and couldn't be happier, they are amazing speakers!

To the OP did you audition the rega DAC when you bought the MF? I have listened to the rega DAC and I'm going to get one but would be interested to hear if there is a comparison especially partnered with the Brio R

A

Anonymous

It's Audiolab, the M-DAC, but no I didn't listen to the Rega as my source is via USB and Rega DAC doesn't support asynch USB or as high resolution files as the audiolab.

Still wondering about the Proacs if anyone could help. :read:

stevebrock said:
Well I've had my Rega Brio R 2 weeks now and am very happy, I listened to the KEF q300 - not really impressed, then the MA RX1, a bit better than the KEF but they weren't blowing me away. My budget was £500, my hifi dealer suggested me listening to some Neat Motive 3 that they had ex demo for £640..... Now these speakers retail for £855.

Sweet holy Jesus they sounded flipping amazing, great control, impeccable timing and I was enjoying the music.

Needles to say I bought them and couldn't be happier, they are amazing speakers!

To the OP did you audition the rega DAC when you bought the MF? I have listened to the rega DAC and I'm going to get one but would be interested to hear if there is a comparison especially partnered with the Brio R

Going by WHFI Dac 'Super test' in the September edition, the MF needs careful partnering. Think the Rega will give better overall balance.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Plastic penguin, yes I've read the review rega is the way to go for me and yes I've listened to it and was very impressed!

Dont really understand the OP comment about the rega DAC not accepting hi res files? I primarily will be using the DAC with my marantz players as a transport so surely cd is the highest resolution there is and the DAC converts it just as the cd player without any loss in quality?

A

Anonymous

Rega DAC only supports 16bit/44 i think, so if you have any files in higher res or depth then it won't be able to do the best with them, but if its just with a transport you'll be fine.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That's simply not true. The Rega DAC is perfectly capable of doing higres (192/24), but not on usb. So as long as you're using the SPDIF input you're fine.

And yes, partnering the Rega DAC with the Brio R is a very good choice. I'm still surprises me at some times..

A

Anonymous

spockfish said:
That's simply not true. The Rega DAC is perfectly capable of doing higres (192/24), but not on usb. So as long as you're using the SPDIF input you're fine.

And yes, partnering the Rega DAC with the Brio R is a very good choice. I'm still surprises me at some times..

Just to direct you to my earlier comment: "I didn't listen to the Rega as my source is via USB and Rega DAC doesn't support asynch USB or as high resolution files as the audiolab".

All about context.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts