I want one so badly ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I was talking about QUAD's VA-ONE.

I can't afford one without selling my system and even then I would need very efficient speakers.

Chebby owes it to himself (and us) to try one.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

I can't afford one without selling my system and even then I would need very efficient speakers.

It has less digital connectivity (I need two optical inputs), and costs two-and-a-half times as much as my Quad Vena for only a third of the power output.

It will also need replacement valves from time-to-time (and sod's law means they'll need replacing at times when cash is scarcest unless you sink a pile of money into a store of them).

I did consider it for a short while after it got announced a few months back. I've got over it now.

matthewpiano

Yes, the the valve one looks nice and would probably feel special for a short time, but I think the Vena is the more practical long-term solution for a system with which to enjoy the content rather than the glow of valves.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am sure the Vena is very good sounding for the money and immensly flexible.

However, taking into account what P.J.Comeau has done in the past I would hazard a guess this little Quad Valve amplifier will be a stunner. I am sure reviews will exist shortly.

Partnered with the right speakers this could form a lovely high end system.

15 watts can go a very long way indeed.

chebby said:
drummerman said:

It has less digital connectivity (I need two optical inputs), and costs two-and-a-half times as much as my Quad Vena for only a third of the power output.

It will also need replacement valves from time-to-time (and sod's law means they'll need replacing at times when cash is scarcest unless you sink a pile of money into a store of them).

I did consider it for a short while after it got announced a few months back. I've got over it now.

That's the next big problem I am going to face. Short of cash and the Linear A is going to need eight new valves soon.

Perhaps it's time to sell up all the kit and get the Swiss Army Knife of amplifiers, the Parasound Halo Integrated.

drummerman said:
I can see I'm not going to win this one :)

Still, would love one.

So would I truth be told. Lovely little design with enough inputs for a second or even first set-up. Bet it's lovely with a pair of Quad S series speakers.

The Quad Vena is perhaps it's biggest stumbling block, however if you simply must have valves it seems comparably priced.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
en first set-up. Bet it's lovely with a pair of Quad S series speakers.

The Quad Vena is perhaps it's biggest stumbling block, however if you simply must have valves it seems comparably priced.

Quad Vena = £599.

Quad VA-ONE = £1299.

Can you clarify 'comparably priced' in this context? It looks to me like it's £700 more expensive.

chebby said:
Al ears said:
en first set-up. Bet it's lovely with a pair of Quad S series speakers.

Quad Vena = £599.

Quad VA-ONE = £1299.

Can you clarify 'comparably priced' in this context? It looks to me like it's £700 more expensive.

I meant with other valve integrated amps. Thought the 'if you simply must have valves' bit might have indicated thus.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to demo that at home. My worry is I wouldn't want to send it back. My bank manager can take comfort from the fact it does not have a turntable input so it's off my radar.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A nice looking, compact and good value valve amp with the convenience of digital inputs. Too many (7) valves to replace for my liking - something like the Unison Research Simply Italy with an off-board DAC would be more up my street and look just as bijoux.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts