I thought this was interesting news that came out last month. It is on LG and Philips uniting for a more suffix smart TV app. W

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im just start to think these brands should focus on the primary function of the devices they make than all these apps. Dont get me wrong. I do believe they have a place but they are becoming superflous. My criteria of buying a TV would be based first prize on picture quality followed by how it looks in my lounge. Sorry if im sounding like a dissident. I rather buy last year's model at a better price with less apps

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I agree with power.

In fact I bought my last TV because it didn't have smart functionallity. I'd rather use my PS3 and WD TV live (and their replacements).

Until smart TVs come with cheap and easy upgrade options I'm not interested. A screen I will keep for at least 5 years, probably 10, and technology moves on. So all these flashy smart TVs now will look very dated in 5 to 10 years, whereas my PS3 will have become a PS4 or XBOX 720.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you power the primary focus for TV manufacturers should be PQ....PQ....PQ + styling. I can see why they are developing it though as streaming becomes more popular i suspect they think it's a convenience that consumers want and will grow with apps.I also feel maybe they can keep the prices up by offering these functions. TBH they don't interest me in the slightest i would still prefer to use anything other than a tv to surf the web :)

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This apps offer minimal benefits but I think they do it to justify their high prices because if you look at the picture quality it hasnt changed significantly in the past 2 years but prices have been goin up while older models prices always drop. I just want a high resolution tv with very good refresh rate and good looks.

A

Anonymous

I saw this news a week ago. I think it is either a brilliant idea or a stupid one. If the two companies put their rivalry aside the smart platform will look great with a variety of apps. The LG Smart interface will be easy to adapt with the magic motion remote. But if it does not work out well all the time and resource will be pointless.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Before I read this thread, I already had my answer mapped out. I agree with everything that has been said. Manufacturers should get back to basics and sort out the quality of the primary function - in this case, to produce a top quality picture. I've had similar discussions recently about AV receiver manufacturers. I think they're pandering more to the "it has to do everything" mentality rather than doing what it is supposed to be doing to the best of it's abilities. There's way too many features on products nowadays.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Before I read this thread, I already had my answer mapped out. I agree with everything that has been said. Manufacturers should get back to basics and sort out the quality of the primary function - in this case, to produce a top quality picture. I've had similar discussions recently about AV receiver manufacturers. I think they're pandering more to the "it has to do everything" mentality rather than doing what it is supposed to be doing to the best of it's abilities. There's way too many features on products nowadays.

Yes David i agree it's the same with AV receivers but do you think they have to keep adding features to justify keeping the price the same or up on the outgoing models ?

Also asked you a question on subthing interesting thread if you get chance to look please.

A

Anonymous

I own a lg smart tv and pretty satisfied with their basic features, including picture quality. So this news was attractive to me anyway. I would love to try out more of higher quality apps from this alliance. My expectations are higher now.

TRENDING THREADS