I really want Google to resurrect the Chromecast Audio at I/O 2023 – here’s why

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
The article author says ‘So having an option that’s in line with the Chromecast’s traditional sub £100 / $100 price tag would be a huge deal.’ But how did they miss what is arguably one of the biggest stories in hifi in the last year, the WiiM Mini? It costs £90 or less, has a similar hockey puck form to the CA and has many advantages over its forebear, including bit perfect streaming up to 24/192 from the likes of Qobuz and Amazon Music (together with built-in Spotify and Tidal Connect) and fortnightly updates that often adds welcome additional functionality. It also allows voice control and has a control app that works as well as anything from Sonos.
Before reading this item I could not understand why WHF had not yet reviewed the WiiM Mini. Now I am beginning to wonder how the Editor in Chief could not have heard of it.

Last edited:

Alain

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
The article author says ‘So having an option that’s in line with the Chromecast’s traditional sub £100 / $100 price tag would be a huge deal.’ But how did they miss what is arguably one of the biggest stories in hifi in the last year, the WiiM Mini? It costs £90 or less, has a similar hockey puck form to the CA and has many advantages over its forebear, including bit perfect streaming up to 24/192 from the likes of Qobuz and Amazon Music (together with built-in Spotify and Tidal Connect) and fortnightly updates that often adds welcome additional functionality. It also allows voice control and has a control app that works as well as anything from Sonos.
Before reading this item I could not understand why WHF had not yet reviewed the WiiM Mini. Now I am beginning to wonder how the Editor in Chief could not have heard of it.
Thanks. I was searching for a cheap alternative to my chromecast audio. Now that we finally have quobuz in Canada.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Still use it every day since 2015.First in a mini system and now on kanto speakers.
I've got two in use. One connected to an old Denon mini hifi separates DRA-F101 in my dining room and the other to my Yamaha DSP-AX761, in the front room. I keep looking at the Wiim Mini and the pro but as my CA's are still working perfectly it would be a hard task convincing my wife🤣

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
So tempted especially with the Wiim pro as it uses Ethernet.

Drahcir

May 10, 2023
Visit site
I agree that it probably deserved a mention. I've just managed to order one for £45. Excited to get my hands on it.

It doesn't actually replace the very handy Chromecast functionality though. Need the Wiim Pro for that.

It gets closer than the Audiocast M5 which I tried out though. That was very limited.

Sound quality isn't as good but it's fine but I've been using Echo Flex's plugged into my stereo's. Works quite well.

columt

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
When discontinuing the CCA Google reasoned: "Our product portfolio continues to evolve, and now we have a variety of products for users to enjoy audio. We have therefore stopped manufacturing our Chromecast Audio products.":confused_old:

However I believe that "therefore" is disingenuous. My guess is the CCA was damaging their potential business with hifi and speaker manufacturers who'd pay to licence their "chromecast built-in" functionality. That revenue potential surely exceeded the narrow margins the CCA would generate. After all why would punters pay a serious premium replacing their redundant hifi kit with streaming enabled equipment, when a cheap $30 device can extend the life of that equipment indefinitely.

And so we the punters lose... which is a pity. I have half a dozen CCAs scattered around my home giving me streaming in whatever room(s) I want. It all works pretty well (though sometimes Spotify takes a while to find a particular CCA). But I do fear that Google will kill off the functionality as it lacks incentive to keep it working. 🤞

Reactions: theisle69

theisle69

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Author apparently doesn't realize that the most recent CCA already did in fact interface with Spotify Connect, though at the reduced bit rate of 256kbps that Spotify passes over the Chromecast protocol (account of though writing). It also had a 3.5mm Toslink out (integrated with the analog out) to bypass the somewhat marginal internal DAC (another area for improvements) and keep the stream in the digital domain, but the low bitrate from Spotify is very noticable. A new product improving upon this and offering full hi-res support for all the streaming platforms would indeed be awesome. By the end of the article, he's basically making the case for a Google Nest Mini, but with an audio out; I think they should keep it as simple and inexpensive as the initial offering but with enhanced performance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts